pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 05:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange 2000/2003 multi forest implementation
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exchange 2000/2003 multi forest implementation  (Read 1871 times)
unisol

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:00:57 AM »

I need to install Exchange 2000/2003 in a forest that should serve as mail server for users in 20 different forests. how do I accomplish that?

Thanks for any reply ...
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 08:08:28 AM »

Seriously,

You do not want to jump off into exchange design by attempting to get an answer to your question in this forum.

The most basic exchange implementation requires planning and preparation on numerous levels.

For example:

Your multi-forest Active Directory structure will need to be analyzed against the requirements and options for the exchange implementation.

How many actual users will need access from each forest?

What does the physical topology of the network look like?

These questions and any follow-ups are just the beginning?
unisol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 08:31:28 AM »

OK, I am explaining the requirement. A company has different projects to handle and each project has its own forest of domain trees. these forests will work as independent units, meaning that they will not communicate with each other. But, they want to have a central Exchange Server that can provide mail services to all forests.
Network includes 3 diffent sites connected via high speed internet connection. location one has 10 forests, second location has 3 forests n location3 has rest of 7.

All users in all forests need to access e-mail from this exchange server.

I don;t have much idea of this so I asked...
Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanx
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 08:52:39 AM »

Okay,

Based on your response, it sounds like you would want to impact the existing Forest structures as little as possible. Someone had a reason to set up multiple forests for different projects.

It also sounds like you want a single exchange server to support everyone, correct?

One way that you could do this is to set up a new Forest,tree, domain just for the exchange server. Then you could allow the clients to use outlook or any other mail client via POP3/SMTP to access mail.

Any implementation more sophisticated than what I described will likely cause you to affect the existing Active Directory structure in more ways than I can describe here.
unisol

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:00:57 AM »

Thanks for the information you provided. You also guessed my problem right!

would appreciate further if you tell me how will i do all these in brief...

Thanks a lot
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:19:57 PM »

First of all this is all theory on my part as I have very little experience myself.

1. I would recommend that you either take a course on exchange server or at least buy a couple of self study books, especially one from microsoft (it should come with an eval copy of exchange). This will allow you to set up a mini-lab to learn on.

2. How important is the email system, if it has to work 24/7 you will need a reliable server and multiple hardware raid drives to do it justice.

3. How many mailboxes/users, if it is less than 75, you might be able to use Small Business Server. Otherwise licensing may become an issue, each user must have its own CAL for exchange.

4. I would also recommend getting a copy of the Exchange Server 2000 or 2003 resource kit.

After you have played with the product for a while in a lab ennvironment you will have a better grasp of things and even more questions.

If you are in a real hurry, I wasn't joking about hiring a consultant with expertise in Exchange. (May be cheaper to take a 2 week crash course).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: