ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  70-217
| | |-+  Local/Domain Policies situation!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Local/Domain Policies situation!  (Read 2089 times)
Beatle
Shake it up!

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »

I have installed a Windows XP pro on a computer, and during install I chose to join our local domain here in the company.

I have created a domain user account member of the Administrators Group as equal as my account, with Domain Admin Privileges. But, I don't know why, the user in question isn't allowed to do a lot of things on that computer. Even login in as a Local Administrator doesn't seem to give him full local rights, as should be.

Does anyone know how can I solve this problem? I didn't figure out why his account, with same privileges as mine, cannot do a lot of things on his machine.

Thanks

Smiley
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »

1. How many XP Pro Machines are there in your domain?

2. What Group Policies are being applied from the domain?

3. what specific rights are in question?

One thing to remember is that local policies are applied first, then overwritten by the domain policies. XP by default locks things down, unless the domain policy explicity "loosens" restrictions, the tighter XP local policy will remain in effect. There are a couple of utilities that you can get to help sort out group policy on XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/gpresult-o.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A6D4C24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

hope this helps a bit
Beatle
Shake it up!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 06:45:46 PM »

Thanks for the answer em_ar_ducks

Answering your questions, we have a samll domain (samll company), but we are expecting some growth. Now we have six machines using XP Pro. By now, we are implementing the domain, and I have the Default Domain Policy and another one that blocks the use of P2P apllications.

Talking about the rights in question, the user, even login in using his domain account doesn't have rights to even create a Text document on the hard drive, or save, for example, a Web Page. I thought that was strange because he belongs to the Domain Adimin Group as I do, and I have the proper rights.

I even put him in the same OU as I, and he still doesn't have those permissions.

I'll try to use the tolls you've put here to analyze. But I think that's a strange situation.

Any other ideal will be a lot of help!

Thanks once again

Armindo
bfied

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »

Is the domain account that you created been added to the computers local administrators group?  If not he probably has very little rights to the computer.
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 02:23:50 AM »

Beatle,

I have had that problem before. I always just created a new user account for the person. There is something corrupt in the user account.

bfied,

the Domain Admins group is automatically put into the Local Admins group when a computer joins the domain, so that's not the issue.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: