pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 08:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  CompTIA
| |-+  i-NET+
| | |-+  NIC Card Place in the OSI?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NIC Card Place in the OSI?  (Read 6961 times)
OOSquishy

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2004, 11:11:01 PM »

Okay, I'm kind of confused here...

My Boson test says the NIC is located on the Data Link Layer (2) while my other resources say it's located on the Physical Layer (1) but never both...

Which is it?  I always though it was located in the Physical Layer because it just sent the electrical signals back and forth...

Can anyone clear this up for me?  Thanks.
tech boi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:31:11 AM »

NIC cards are data link layer devices.when you think of NICs think of the mac addresses burned into the cards.They are part of the data link layer or layer 2 of the OSI.

try not.. do or do not
there is no try - yoda
Supertech
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:45:04 AM »

technically, you're both right.  The NIC provides electrical access to transmission media on the physical layer as well as  MAC addressing to uniquely identify each node in a network at the Media Access Control layer which resides at the Data Link Layer.  The data link layer is concerned with physical addressing, network topology, physical link management, error notification, ordered delivery of frames, and flow control.

This is an on-going debate and I'm sure several people will have their say...:cool:

OOSquishy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 01:33:55 AM »

I just hope I don't encounter that on the test... thank you for the quick reply.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 12:20:20 PM »

actually, it's a NIC, not a NIC card Wink

This aside, the NIC is at layer 1... the NIC driver is at layer 2. For CompTIA tests, the NIC is a layer 1 device. I hope this helps Smiley

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
Axel_2078

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 02:14:18 AM »

Certain parts of the NIC function at layer one, while other parts function at layer two. So technically, it does function at both layers.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »

Originally posted by Axel_2078
Certain parts of the NIC function at layer one, while other parts function at layer two. So technically, it does function at both layers.

You're welcome to your opinion Wink

But this being the Net+ forum, I am just trying to give a CompTIA Net+ answer, if you catch my drift...

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
Axel_2078

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 07:39:30 PM »

I understand, but according to the A+ exam, the NIC does function at both layers. This is also taught in military computer courses. If need be, I can gather the resources and post them here. I've also taken the Net+ exam and I believe the same holds true for that one too.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: