pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 09:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  70-218
| | |-+  online vs books
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: online vs books  (Read 3706 times)
oddish

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2004, 03:44:34 PM »

Do anyone know if learnkey or smartcertify have a good study program?? Or should I save my money and just study from books. I am trying to study for the MCSA cert. help
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:01:47 PM »

I like to use books to gather the knowledge, and online to test said knowledge with questions and quizzes... I am not a big fan of SmartCertify.

And there is something about owning the actual book: you can write on it, use it as a reference tool, bring it with you, etc...

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
oddish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 05:23:55 PM »

Thanks for the info. What do you think about learnkey? Is it any good? What book or books would you use for MCSA cert?
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »

for the MCSA, I would recommend the MOC and/or MS Press. LearnKey is not a fave of mine either...

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 08:37:57 PM »

Ironically, MOC and MS Press books are well known for being bad sources of exam material.

The only book that I found that truly covered all of the topics for the MCSA exams was M$ Administrators Companion. It's huge (over 1700 pages if I remember correctly) but you can use it for all exams.

If you want a little instruction on CD's, I would suggest cbt nuggets. I lot of my students used them a lot.

Hope that helps.

Good luck my friend.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 09:04:45 PM »

Originally posted by curiousgeorge
Ironically, MOC and MS Press books are well known for being bad sources of exam material.

So you say, although that's all I usually read for my MS exams, and I would say that my record speaks for itself...

This said, I always recommend to read more than 2 books on the same topic, and to make sure to get books from different authors/publishers to get another point of view of the topics...

iCertify dot net

InfoSecWeb.com
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 01:59:26 AM »

When I was an MCSE Instuctor, I taught 8 different exam courses. We used many different sets of books: MS Press, MOC, Sybex, Exam Cram, MS Administrator's Companion, Mark Minasi books, etc.

Of the 400+ students I tought, MOC and MS Press were considered the worst, Minasi was the easiest to understand, but MS Administrator's Companion had all of the course objectives covered in detail.

You're an MCT. What books do you use in your classes?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:05:03 AM by curiousgeorge » Logged

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 09:22:18 AM »

As an MCT, teaching official classes, I have to use the MOC. I teach all the MCSE 2K classes plus many side classes, such as Exchange, IIS and IAS. I also used the MOC for all the NT 4 classes I taught back in the days.

When I feel that a complement is needed, I usually write it myself and distribute it as a hand out, which my students like. Often, I will also give them a free copy of one of my guides.

Considering the amount of MCSEs I turned out as an instructor, I'd say that MOC works pretty well for them.

I am not a bog fan of the MCSE books from Minasi. While I agree that his writing style is easy to read, I didn't like his MCSE series...

iCertify dot net

InfoSecWeb.com
oddish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 11:04:59 AM »

Were can I find the MS Administrator companion? What about the MOC? I would perfer something easy to understand. I started working with w2k server & w2k pro, but I would really like to understand it and pass the cert for MCSA. Would it be best that I build a Lab also?
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 11:26:36 AM »

yes you definitely need a lab. The MOC you can only obtain if you take an official MS class. Sometimes they are on eBay as well, but not often to my knowledge.

iCertify dot net

InfoSecWeb.com
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 02:06:50 PM »

The large bookstores will have M$ Administrators Companion (Borders, Davis Kidd, etc). But beware, it's not an easy read.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 02:22:15 PM »

btw, a great read and a must have for all W2K admins is the w2k server resource kit. And the TCP/IP book in it is the perfect book to read and learn from to pass the dreaded 70-216 test...

iCertify dot net

InfoSecWeb.com
mdtran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 03:01:12 PM »

MOC and MS Press books have been improved lately.  I have to admit I used to hate MS Press, and only use them if they're really good.  MOC is excellent for weeding out some fluffs and it has decent labs.
Minasi's books are awesome bc you can read them and make the concept yours = explain a concept with your own words.
oddish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 02:10:40 AM »

Thanks for the 411 on another book. I got MS press, and the reading is dry. I also found this book title Windows 2000 MCSE Study System all in one guide, by Alan Carter. Very easy  reading. Anyone know of this book? Is it anygood?
mdtran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »

Alan Carter is very good in explaining difficult concepts.
I like him a lot, and I wish he put out more books.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: