pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  Terminal Services Help
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Terminal Services Help  (Read 3916 times)
sting06

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2004, 08:33:40 PM »

Hey guys!

I've got a Windows 2003 Server with Terminal Services running in my shop. We use the terminal services to run differnt programs located on the server. In the last week we have been unable to log on to the server through terminal services.

The machines will logon and look like it's bringing up a desktop, but immediately logs off and shuts down remote desktop connection.

It happens on different computers with different users. I've restarted the server, created new user accounts, restarted terminal services. I'm out of ideas.

Any help?

Thanks.
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:43:36 PM »

Do the user accounts have permission to use Terminal Server?

I know that's basic, but it may have been overlooked.

Or could it be a licensing issue with 2003???

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
Crito
Certasaurus Rex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:52:18 PM »

Might be a licensing issue. As I recall, a terminal server only works for 90 days in application server mode before it disables itself. Remote administration mode continues to function however. Check the system log (event viewer) on the server to make sure.
sting06

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 02:02:27 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses. I checked and the accounts do have permissions to logon through remote desktop to the terminal server. Also the accounts were able to before.

I think you guys are on the right track with the liscensing issue. I'll check the event log closer and give you an update tomorrow.
ecunupe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 02:53:10 PM »

In windows server 2003 Terminal Server Licensing has a temporary license of 120 days. Do you have Cals installed and if so what type. You probably have per user cals installed in Terminal Server licensing but on the server in Terminal Server Configuration it is set to per device. I am willing to bet that is what your problem is. Wink
GeekDogMo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 08:14:49 PM »

I think that checking the even log carefully should have been your first step.  I also believe that the time you take to post a thread on something like this you could exhaust other means of troubleshooting.  Learning by trial and error is much better than having the answer come easy in a message board.  Just my 2Cents
DesertDog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 08:56:48 PM »

Originally posted by GeekDogMo
I think that checking the even log carefully should have been your first step.  

True but not a big deal.

Originally posted by GeekDogMo
I also believe that the time you take to post a thread on something like this you could exhaust other means of troubleshooting.  Learning by trial and error is much better than having the answer come easy in a message board.  Just my 2Cents

As dead as these boards have been it's good to see that someone even cares it's here. I don't know if it's related but this place has been dead since J.J.Black left. I don't think we should be discouraging anyone. I will agree that message boards are more for guidance more than solutions and people should be led to where the answers exist to find them for themselves, I don't think he was asking for more than that.

2 cents from a fellow dog.

Desert Dog
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 09:08:15 PM »

Originally posted by DesertDog
As dead as these boards have been it's good to see that someone even cares it's here.  I don't think we should be discouraging anyone.  

Could not agree more. Thanks for the post.

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
sandy7000

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 10:48:03 AM »

Shh..GeekDogMo, I'm trying to learn Terminal Server & don't need someone throwing stuff at the other students.....

Thanks for posting, Sting.  I'm learning from it.  What do you know re:  this, Freak?  I always learn from your technical input.
Clangashe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 02:06:21 AM »

Check that per device in licensing is not select. This can take temp licenses.
Necaras

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 05:24:36 PM »

I've also recently had this problem and after exhaustively looking for a solution, checking the licensing, permissions and whatnot, I finally tried replacing my non-Microsoft video driver (NVidia's reference driver) with the default Microsoft driver. This alleviated the problem.

Not sure why this fixed the problem, I didn't even think that the RDP protocol used the local video driver, but perhaps there may have been a desktop control or applet that attempted to load during login.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 05:29:42 PM »

welcome to the site Smiley

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
KScheler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 11:44:31 AM »

Do you have a Terminal Serices Licensing server setup and purchased and downloaded the licenses from Microsoft's clearinghouse? If this is a Domain enviornment, the Licencing server has to be running on a DC. If not, that could be the problem. W2k3 Terminal Services will only run 120 days without the licenses being installed. After that, the server will stop accepting connections. Everything else will still work, just not Terminal Services.
mnocom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 02:54:38 AM »

I've also recently had this problem and after exhaustively looking for a solution, checking the licensing, permissions and whatnot, I finally tried replacing my non-Microsoft video driver (NVidia's reference driver) with the default Microsoft driver. This alleviated the problem.

Not sure why this fixed the problem, I didn't even think that the RDP protocol used the local video driver, but perhaps there may have been a desktop control or applet that attempted to load during login.

This worked for me. Thanks Necaras! I think a lower screen resolution can also solve the problem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: