pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCDST
| | |-+  MCDST vs. A+, Net+ and MCP?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MCDST vs. A+, Net+ and MCP?  (Read 3379 times)
wayne62682

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2004, 11:53:31 PM »

(My apologies if this is the wrong forum.. I figure it is since my question concerns the MCDST as a certification)

I've been reading about MS's new four-tier pyramid thing they want to have, and it got me thinking about my own career.  Little background here:  I'm majoring in Network Administration and set to graduate in September.  I have legitmately about a year of experience in IT; six months owning a PC repair company and about another six or seven months of helping my school's IT staff with minor problems, as well as troubleshooting problems for other students.  

I was planning on getting my A+ and Network+ and then move onto taking the Windows XP exam (70-270) before I graduate or soon after, thinking this would be a pretty good foundation for entry into the IT field.  But now I'm wondering how those three would compare to just getting an MCDST to start, then moving on to MCSA.  Naturally I could get A+, Net+, MCP AND MCDST, but funds are a little tight right now as I try to find a job IN the field.  

I guess what I'm asking how would the MCDST compare to having A+, Network+ and MCP?  I think I would be better off with the three certs as opposed to just one, but then again I'm not that experienced in how this industry works yet...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:33:45 AM by wayne62682 » Logged

Wayne M.
A+
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 01:55:13 AM »

It would not.  It strictly covers desktop user problems.  If it is not a configuration fix then look elsewhere.  There is zero hardware related information so the A+ core is out.  The A+ software test covers slightly different things.  You can pass 271 by studying 270 but all of the install stuff is missing.

Net+ heads toward MCSA so again I do not think that there is a direct comparison. Knowing Net+ helps with 272 but it is backgrounder info which only helps you understand the question a little better.  

Microsoft has surgically carved this cert out of everything else and place it in the category of the user asking "how come I can't do this function" or what must be set to allow this work task.  I took the betas and I even had lots of laptop to desktop and work at home questions.

I got pretty high scores with no study time other than experience so having other certs is definitely an advantage.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:59:19 AM by azimuth40 » Logged
wayne62682

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 10:37:00 AM »

So basically for what I want to do (i.e. network/system administration) I should stick with my original plan of getting A+/Net+/MCP and pass over the DST (unless, of course, I get a job that requires it or something).  Thanks for the reply!

Wayne M.
A+
relder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 09:48:26 AM »

If you plan on keeping your own company, I'd go for the MCDST which will also give you a MCP.  Most end users who bring machines into your shop have no clue what these certifications really mean.  The "Microsoft Certified" is plenty.

If you expect to work for someone else, the A+, Network+ is a better route.

isles1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 10:34:58 AM »

It depends what your goals are.  PC repair and Network Administration are pretty different.

If you plan on keeping your business, I would aim for A+ and MCDST.  These combined will cover general hardware and software, and also hone in on specific configuration of the user experience with MS OS and Office products.

If you are planning to try and enter the IT field as an entry level tech or maybe as a jr. admin (if the market picks up), I would do the A+/Net+ combo, then start working on your MCSA.  A+ and Net+ combined count as an elective towards the MCSA track.  They are a good foundation, and look good on a resume to any IT person reviewing it who has any clue what the exam cover.
cm2gj
www.cm2gj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:27:29 AM »

Originally posted by wayne62682
(My apologies if this is the wrong forum.. I figure it is since my question concerns the MCDST as a certification)

I've been reading about MS's new four-tier pyramid thing they want to have, and it got me thinking about my own career.  Little background here:  I'm majoring in Network Administration and set to graduate in September.  I have legitmately about a year of experience in IT; six months owning a PC repair company and about another six or seven months of helping my school's IT staff with minor problems, as well as troubleshooting problems for other students.  

I was planning on getting my A+ and Network+ and then move onto taking the Windows XP exam (70-270) before I graduate or soon after, thinking this would be a pretty good foundation for entry into the IT field.  But now I'm wondering how those three would compare to just getting an MCDST to start, then moving on to MCSA.  Naturally I could get A+, Net+, MCP AND MCDST, but funds are a little tight right now as I try to find a job IN the field.  

I guess what I'm asking how would the MCDST compare to having A+, Network+ and MCP?  I think I would be better off with the three certs as opposed to just one, but then again I'm not that experienced in how this industry works yet...

remember... if you have a mcp, a+ and network+... you only need 2 more exams to get mcsa cert... who is more valuable than the MCDST..

Best Regards
Alex
alexisgarcia72@hotmail.com
Cuban in Mexico
www.cm2gj.com
liyaqat_naz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 11:25:23 AM »

study hard for MCDST,not so easy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: