pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCDST
| | |-+  MCDST counting toward MCSA??????
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MCDST counting toward MCSA??????  (Read 1731 times)
plvasco

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2004, 08:39:09 PM »

Can anyone verify the following statement from Certication Magazine concerning the MCDST cetification counting toward one elective for MCSA.

http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/cmag_webonly.asp?articleid=558&zoneid=33

These days, its rare for Microsoft to present the world with a new certification credential. Thats what made it news when the company did just that in October 2003, when it announced its Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) program, along with a vision of what kinds of job roles the various Microsoft certifications are designed to fulfill.

The MCDST is an entry-level technical-support certification that seeks to identify individuals with the skills and knowledge necessary to support end-users who run desktop environments on the Windows operating system. The program is pretty simple and straightforward, and requires passing two unique Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exams, one aimed at the Windows operating system itself, the other at applications running in a Windows environment:

Exam #70271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems
Exam #70272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Applications on a Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating System Platform
Please note that these exams do not count toward other Microsoft certifications per se, but that an MCDST may be counted in lieu of a single elective for the Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on either Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003.

thanks
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:10:35 AM »

Hmmm well if you don't believe the only general print glossy magazine for IT certifications, then why should you believe us.  Oh I forgot about MCP Mag but I don't think that they have made that statement yet. You are not the first to ask but I really don't know why the question keeps coming up. Let me just post all the info that I have for others that will also ask.

I have all the options that would count A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCDST so I couldn't really tell you from personal experience but this link tries to clarify it.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.asp

If that is not enough then how about Andy Ruth.

Microsoft Chat on MCDST held on (Feb 10, 2004 11AM-12PM PST
Please wait, connecting to server...
Connected!
The chat's topic is: Microsoft Certification: Learn more about MCDST

[...]
Guide_KenM : I'll now have the hosts introduce themselves.

Andy_MS : Hi! I'm Andy Ruth, Product Planner for the MCDST certification. I helped with identifying the tasks that are tested, and the learning and certification products that are associated with the MCDST credential. I spend a lot of time on microsoft.public.cert.
[...]
Andy_MS : Q: Can either 70-271 or 70-272 be used for MCSA or MCSE?
    Andy_MS : A: 271 and 272 do not count towards the MCSA or MCSE, but the MCDST certification can count as your elective for MCSA on either Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003.

If Andy made a mistake others would have caught it including the product manager.  The following additional Microsoft people attended this live chat.

Steve_MS : Hello, Im Steve Gzesh.  Im a Marketing Manager in the Microsoft Learning team.
    Kari_MS : Hi, I'm Kari Fink, Marketing Manager for MS Learning
    John_ms : John_ms - John Norby, product manager in MS Learning. Im the voice of the customer for MCDST. I own the business portion of the credential including identifying customers, forecasting and tracking of how the credential is doing in the marketplace.
    Eric_MS : Hi, my name is Eric.  I'm an MS Exam Technology Program Manager.
Guide_KenM : Ken McGrath here, TechNet/MSN Web and Communities Producer.

Generally, for news stories, cert mag can be believed since most of the people responsible for certs in various organizations write permanent or guest columns for them.  For example, the head of CompTIA is pretty much a regular.
xakeP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 07:34:22 AM »

mcdst counts as mcsa elective for me and made me a MCSA.

I had 270,215,218, and now MCDST

Vitaly B. (xakeP)
MCP, MCDST, MCSA.[/color]
Working towards an Associates Degree and CCNA.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: