pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 11:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCDST
| | |-+  Attn: JimJohnson or anyone else who has taken these exams
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Attn: JimJohnson or anyone else who has taken these exams  (Read 4005 times)
etn111

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »

Hi Jim, since you have already taken this exam, I'd like to know what your opinion of this exam is, in terms of difficulty: I have been in my current position of help desk support for 5 years, and have taken numerous classes.  My job, although the same job title, has changed and evolved over the 5 years due to what I have learned and picked up and new responsibility, etc.  I have taken classes 2272 and 2152, (supporting XP and 2000), but have yet to pass an XP practice exam.  I've never scored higher than a 60!  It seems that even though I study, and have on-the-job experience, I cannot pass a Microsoft exam.  People on the message boards are always saying that the XP exam was so easy, but most of them are admins.  I would like to know, are the MCDST exams tricky?  Or am I finally going to find an exam that I can pass?  What do you think?  Anyone else have opinions?  Thanks for your time.  P.S.  We have 2 AS/400 admins and programmers and 1 Mapics programmer in my department, so I appreciate the depth of your AS/400 knowledge. (I'm on the pc side)
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 06:12:42 PM »

I did desktop support for about 2 years before starting my network admin position.

I got a 900/1000 and a 945/1000 on the 271 and 272 betas, respectively.

These were easy exams if your TRULY know your way around XP and basically have the steps that it takes to make minor adjustments to the user's desktop and application interfaces committed to memory.

Honestly, if the live exams are anything like the betas, I think they would be kind of hard to study for since you would basically be memorizing sequential steps to accomplish tasks, and knowing different ways to achieve the same result.  This all comes from experience, unless you have the mind and patience to memorize that sort of stuff.
etn111

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 12:33:37 PM »

Thanks for the info.  My fear is that I may not troubleshoot in the sequential order that Microsoft expects me to.  Also, it will be hard for me to keep hardware out of it.  For ex. why do I have an apipa?  First thing I would do is make sure the lan wire is plugged in.  However, would this be going into hardware more than desktop support?
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »

Originally posted by etn111
Thanks for the info.  My fear is that I may not troubleshoot in the sequential order that Microsoft expects me to.  Also, it will be hard for me to keep hardware out of it.  For ex. why do I have an apipa?  First thing I would do is make sure the lan wire is plugged in.  However, would this be going into hardware more than desktop support?

Its all about choosing the most correct answer.  That is something you can get a feel for by buying some of the 271/272 study guides (MS Press for example).

Until you take the exam, there is no way to be sure if you will be presented with what you are expecting or hoping to see.  If the choices do not include anything about hardware, you cannot bring hardware into it.  If checking something involving hardware or some physical connection makes sence more so than another option, then that is the answer you would pick.  Is it what MS wants?  THe study guides can probably clarify that for you.
INN0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »

errrrrr .. wrong answer ... if the lan wire is not pluged in you do not get APIPA , you get an answer ... "media disconected " when you do ipconfig ...
plus if the "lan wire " is out you get a red cross over the icon "local area connection"

For ex. why do I have an apipa?  First thing I would do is make sure the lan wire is plugged in.  
etn111

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 01:09:39 PM »

Well, that makes better sense.  In my current job, a user will not know when they have an apipa, (apparently I don't either), so when I was thinking about this problem, I pictured the users telling me they weren't getting their network drives.  (Because that's how they would describe this problem).  In which case I would check their lan wire first thing.  So essentially, I was assuming the problems were one and the same, and they are not.  (getting an apipa versus not getting network drives) That answers that question, and confirms why I am so worried about a test that should be simple with five years desktop support experience. Thanks for your response.
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »

Well, that makes better sense.  In my current job, a user will not know when they have an apipa, (apparently I don't either), so when I was thinking about this problem, I pictured the users telling me they weren't getting their network drives.  (Because that's how they would describe this problem).  In which case I would check their lan wire first thing.  So essentially, I was assuming the problems were one and the same, and they are not.  (getting an apipa versus not getting network drives) That answers that question, and confirms why I am so worried about a test that should be simple with five years desktop support experience. Thanks for your response.

I think you might be reading a bit more into it than needed, and worrying about it too much.

If you have good troubleshooting skills and know the XP OS, then you will be able to pick out the correct (or most correct) answer.

The best answer may not be "your" answer, or the first step you would take on the job.  We all go through a sequence of steps that may or may not be the same as the next guy, or even the most effective steps to reach the solution.

Also, not know the difference between a disconnected network cable and a client getting a 169.x.x.x address is not really a difference in terminology.  The two may or may not be related.

Getting one of those automatic addresses really only means the PC could not get a responce from a DHCP server...this could mean the cable is unplugged or damaged, but it could also signify network or server problems.

In this case (if I did not have the media disconnected icon), I would see if other users on the same subnet were affected during a simple reboot of the problem client.  IPCONFIG /renew does not always work, at least for me.

Just an example along with my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:29:38 PM by isles1 » Logged
etn111

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 08:08:45 PM »

I just passed 271 this afternoon!  Thanks for all your comments and insights!

P.S.  I forgot:  I got a 750, passing score was 700.  Yay!!
INN0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 07:17:46 AM »

C'mon tell us some more ..
give us an ideea of the type of questions, their format (I mean drag and drop , select the asnwer etc ) and wich fields were covered the most etc ...
go on,  go on,  go on ....

I just passed 271 this afternoon!  Thanks for all your comments and insights!

P.S.  I forgot:  I got a 750, passing score was 700.  Yay!!
etn111

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 10:00:28 AM »

Most questions were multiple choice. I think there were 2 or 3 that you clicked on the picture for your answer.  To me, it basicly is all the 'easy' questions plucked out of the 270 exam.  My test had several Task Manager questions (know the Performance tab), lots of ntfs vs. share permissions questions (which I did well on) and know when to use Recovery Console, ASR, etc.  I also had several VPN questions.  It is hard for someone like me, who is not an admin.  I had to think through every question very slowly.  For someone who already has MCSA or MCSE, then I'm sure this test is kindergarten.  Good Luck!
INN0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 10:53:58 AM »

Cheers dude ...
will try my luck within the next few weeks ...
Although I have 3 mcp's and I have 2 years nt to XP experince I am still very woried , and specially about the MS way opf watching the problem , and loads of the Q's being very out of the real world ..
I mean I remember a Q in my 210 exam a while ago , it was something about dialling into an ISP and the fact that it is not a guarantee that you will alwats get connected that even an ISP might have an engaged tone ... and something that an ISP based in one town will be expensive if you are an field engineer and you travel outside ... Nowdays it will be very difficult to find an ISP that does not have a locall national rate for use , or even a freephone
That's the stuff I am worried out , things taht are not practicall ... :0
thanx anyway for your help
Most questions were multiple choice. I think there were 2 or 3 that you clicked on the picture for your answer.  To me, it basicly is all the 'easy' questions plucked out of the 270 exam.  My test had several Task Manager questions (know the Performance tab), lots of ntfs vs. share permissions questions (which I did well on) and know when to use Recovery Console, ASR, etc.  I also had several VPN questions.  It is hard for someone like me, who is not an admin.  I had to think through every question very slowly.  For someone who already has MCSA or MCSE, then I'm sure this test is kindergarten.  Good Luck!
JimJohnson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 06:55:20 AM »

Hi Jim, since you have already taken this exam, I'd like to know what your opinion of this exam is, in terms of difficulty: I have been in my current position of help desk support for 5 years, and have taken numerous classes. My job, although the same job title, has changed and evolved over the 5 years due to what I have learned and picked up and new responsibility, etc. I have taken classes 2272 and 2152, (supporting XP and 2000), but have yet to pass an XP practice exam. I've never scored higher than a 60! It seems that even though I study, and have on-the-job experience, I cannot pass a Microsoft exam. People on the message boards are always saying that the XP exam was so easy, but most of them are admins. I would like to know, are the MCDST exams tricky? Or am I finally going to find an exam that I can pass? What do you think? Anyone else have opinions? Thanks for your time. P.S. We have 2 AS/400 admins and programmers and 1 Mapics programmer in my department, so I appreciate the depth of your AS/400 knowledge. (I'm on the pc side)

Sorry I didn't respond earlier ... been crazy kinda busy last couple of weeks.  The MCDST exams aren't really tricky.  But they do rely on a certain level of knowledge that is best acquired through on hands experience.  I have been using Windows XP since the Beta 2 CPP.  I feel very comfortable using XP and the only studying I did for both exams was general overview.  I might suggest taking some practice exams if you don't feel like you are being successful with the real deal.  Good practice exams will give you a comfortable feel and make you more confident in your test taking.  When I took my 1st AS/400 exam, I thought I knew it all but I got my butt seriously kicked because of the format and the fact I didn't study the right stuff.  That was also my first IT exam ever.  I failed that one the first time, and I've passed every one since.  Stay focused, get some practice in, and take your time.  You'll do great!

- Jim
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: