pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 02:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Malfunctioning DVD-ROM
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Malfunctioning DVD-ROM  (Read 630 times)
PoorboyTech
Bastard Operator

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2004, 01:14:25 PM »

I have a black Liteon DVD-ROM in my PC.
Its about a year old or so.

Recently, I have been having problems with it.  It will run fine for a good half hour or so, and then it will intermittently(sp?) play (i.e.  start and stop start and stop) as if it can spin correctly or something.
I have also noticed that it is not DVD specific, trying many of DVDs that I have.
The ones that it does mess up on, howevere, I have noticed small scuff marks on the DVDs.
I have currently quit using it alltogether for now.  Think its time to trash it? I have tried to clean it out using compressed air but no go.

Users...Can't live with'em, can't leave them under the raised floor in the machine room for more than a few weeks...
DaDnDe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 07:34:48 AM »

hmmm usually anything that works for a while then starts to get erratic indicates a heating problem.

heating problems could be CPU, Memory, low or inconsistant power supply

some erratic running when reading is not all that unusual for certain types of disks. videos should be fairly consistant, but they can get pretty wild on menu and file changes.

the other thing it could be if this has been a gradual thing is that somehow the laser has been knocked out of line a little and its having a hard time focusing. the lasers do have some leeway because the disk flexes on the horizontal plane when its spinning but get all the slop going the same way and then the warp of the disk might start creating intermittant reads.

do you ever hear the box rattle or get a deep hum to it. can you feel it running?
those could be indications of problems.
i would check to make sure the mount screws are good and snug.

"Nuchi du takara"
"Life is a treasure"

http://www.besttests.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: