pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 05:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCDST
| | |-+  Cert is active and now available
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Cert is active and now available  (Read 6277 times)
aznluvsmc
Just a kid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 09:01:15 PM »

As a side note regarding my MCSE certification, I do have hands on experience as I have a 4 computer home lab set up.  Although it may not be enterprise level experience I have gained a great deal of knowledge as the labs have not gone as smoothly as I had hoped but I was able to troubleshoot them and build up my personal knowledgebase.  

My computer networking program at school deals with a wide array of topics which include Windows, UNIX/Linux, Novell NetWARE, Cisco, AS/400, scripting, databases, network design, security and a host of other courses.  I believe this will allow me to show a broad range of skills at the beginner level and then concentrate on my security specialization.
JimJohnson

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 09:42:03 PM »

If you can, get in good with the contractors and talk to them about what you've been learning and if there's anything you can do to help them.  That kind of voluntary participation in a major project goes a long way as far as your development goes along with possible career openings.  I remember helping a shipping vendor of ours that worked in one of our distribution centers and was having problems with one of their computers.  We didn't even own the darn thing! I volunteered and went over to get their PC's working again.  I was on the line with one of their managers explaining the problem and how I fixed it and she pretty much offered me a job! It also looked really good on my mid-year and year-end review.  Plus we kept them working and shipping out packages which was important for us obviously :-)  Get involved if you can, whats the worst they can say, no?
afalbrig

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 07:54:45 PM »

Originally posted by JimJohnson
I'm one of those that got the MCDST by taking the beta exams. It's my first Charter membership.  It's actually motivating me to take my 70-218 to finish my MCSA. Cheesy  If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer em if I can.  Good luck to all!

- JJ

How were the tests?  I'm MCSE+I (NT4), MCSA (2000), and I haven't extensively studied WinXP, but I've fixed various problems on XP desktops and done a few migrations.  I'm interested in getting the cert as well.  Should I wait for educational material to come out and then study that, or just sit the tests cold?
JimJohnson

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 07:05:12 AM »

Originally posted by afalbrig
How were the tests?  I'm MCSE+I (NT4), MCSA (2000), and I haven't extensively studied WinXP, but I've fixed various problems on XP desktops and done a few migrations.  I'm interested in getting the cert as well.  Should I wait for educational material to come out and then study that, or just sit the tests cold?

I don't know if you still want a response because I haven't been around, but I'll give you one anyways. Immerse yourself in XP, buy some books, setup a lab and just get comfy.  If you have the money and don't want to wait, take one of the tests cold ... it's a good way to see what the test is all about.  If you can wait, then wait for the books and immerse yourself. Good luck!

- Jim
tusi2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »

My MCSA friend told me that the tests were easy, and that I should just take them cold. I had never taken an MS test before, and was only A+ certified. I signed up to take both tests back to back. Took the XP test first... scored a 783 while I needed a 700 to pass. I found the Apps test to be a bit harder, but perhaps that was because I have more experience with working with just NT. The tests were heavy on: file permissions, DNS, and scenario-based tech support questions. I thought the test was quite interesting, but if you already have your MCSA, and really have the knowledge to back it up, MCDST should be cake for you.

Smiley
tusi2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2004, 04:19:32 PM »

Originally posted by aznluvsmc
There was an article on Certcities in which the author suggested MS adopt CompTIA A+ as another requirement to MCDST.  A Help Desk person is not much use if they can't troubleshoot hardware issues.  I highly doubt MS will develop their own hardware certification as A+ is already internationally recognized.

Does MCDST cover basic network configuration and troubleshooting concepts?

From looking at their website, it's pretty clear to me that MS considers CompTIA's certs to be equal or lesser than their own. As A+ and Network+ together (or other possible combinations) count as an elective on the MCSA track - MCDST fulfills this same requirement.

Short answer - MS should, but they won't. They've already assigned A+ somewhat equal footing with one of their own (new) tests.

MCDST networking questions? Learn what you can about DNS, IE config and DHCP/ipconfig usage.
afalbrig

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 03:38:16 AM »

Originally posted by tusi2
My MCSA friend told me that the tests were easy, and that I should just take them cold. I had never taken an MS test before, and was only A+ certified. I signed up to take both tests back to back. Took the XP test first... scored a 783 while I needed a 700 to pass. I found the Apps test to be a bit harder, but perhaps that was because I have more experience with working with just NT. The tests were heavy on: file permissions, DNS, and scenario-based tech support questions. I thought the test was quite interesting, but if you already have your MCSA, and really have the knowledge to back it up, MCDST should be cake for you.

Smiley

I do have MCSA, but it's in Win2000.  I have worked on XP boxes before, and it's a lot like Win2000, but I can't say I'm familiar with every little new feature, and I'm wondering if that might trip me up.  I'll just have to take a look at some XP materials and give it a try.
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004, 11:27:38 AM »

I do have MCSA, but it's in Win2000.  I have worked on XP boxes before, and it's a lot like Win2000, but I can't say I'm familiar with every little new feature, and I'm wondering if that might trip me up.  I'll just have to take a look at some XP materials and give it a try.

You need specific XP knowledge.  Looking over materials, coupled with a decent amount of configuring the user experience (and knowing different ways to do the same thing) will get you through the exams.

IMHO, if you work with XP on a very regular basis, you do not need to study.  A simple review of the objectives that you are weak in will sufice.
shahrial

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

Originally posted by JimJohnson
I'm one of those that got the MCDST by taking the beta exams. It's my first Charter membership.  It's actually motivating me to take my 70-218 to finish my MCSA. Cheesy  If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer em if I can.  Good luck to all!

- JJ

Like you, I took the beta exams. It was like a game to me. Best part is getting certified for free. Cheesy

For those who are planning to take it, most of the good advice had been said. Do read-up on troubleshooting email clients (such as Outlook and Outlook Express too.) There are a few questions on those too. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 01:19:09 PM by shahrial » Logged
moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 02:57:05 AM »

this cert is best
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: