pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 05:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  70-218
| | |-+  Ways to prep for 70-218, after 210 & 215?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ways to prep for 70-218, after 210 & 215?  (Read 3405 times)
progmetalaax

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

I guess you guys have heard this question many times before but Im just gonna put a bit of a spin on it.
I plan to take 215 in 2-3 weeks. I have done a number of questions from Easycert, Cert21, Exam Drill, and online questions (and creating a 5 page long of important concepts)
After passing 215, I want to go for 216 (this way I have the elective for MCSA & another MCSE core). As for after that, I would like to go to 218. I plan to again answer numerous questions and when I understand why I got the questions wrong, take the 218 to be MCSA.

After passing 210, 215, & 216, is there anything "new" on 218? Some people are saying to also pass 217 before taking 218. I understand why its a good idea, but is it 100% needed? Because of my paranoid nature :p , I will most likily look at some 217 questions and a book anyways, but I would like to know from the people who have have passed or preparing for 70-218.
andreo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 06:49:39 PM »

I took and passed 218 a few weeks back.
 When I started my track to mcsa I started with 210, then 215, and then 218 (with some comptia stuff and the 271 test). 210 was my first ms test so I didn't know what to expect and though I passed it wasn't the best score in the world. I think it was more nerves then me not knowing the material. 215 was pretty easy and 218 was easy though it was long since you have to do all the questions.

I found that 218 was mostly trouble shooting AD objects, some dhcp stuff, dns stuff, wins stuff, older / different os's working on a windows 2000 network and quite a few ICS, remote desktop, web server stuff also. If you know the rules for working with the above and how Wins and DNS works then you will have no problem. The questions were a bit wordy but not to the point of my eyes glazing over.

I also found that the test did revisit some things from both the 210 and 215 tests. So if you studied for these two and retained the info from them then it will make the 218 even easier. From what I've read, if you can pass the 216 then the biggest problem you will have with the 218 is staying awake through it since the worst of the MS tests are behind you.

BTW, I used CBT Nuggets to train for the 218 and I felt very comfortable while sitting through the test. Matter of fact I used CBT Nuggets for all the test I've taken so far and they have been fine. I did find that they covered more then they had to but it seems that they will through in things that you will need for future test into the current material that your studying. For example: for some reason they went into subnetting during the 210 study material. Since I'd never taken the 210 test and didn't know about this site at the time I went into a panic come test day since I was sure I was going to get bombarded with subnet questions and I didn't have a total grasp on how to create a subnet. So I ended up spending lots of time going over the subnet material when it never even came up in the test.
wertop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 04:13:11 AM »

you'll be fine. the worst MS exam is 216, so you'll pass 218 with no problems. it seems you'll prepared well and if you'll use easycert for this exam, there is nothing to stop you. many forum users state that easycert is the best prep tool for this exam...

good luck!
progmetalaax

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »

Passed 215. Oh, I have not taken 216 yet.
But anyways, Easycert help greatly. Infact, I found majority of questions to be almost the same, even identical!!!!
As for 218 & 216, I will take. However, I would like to get my CCNA next. My Network + is my not giving me to much leadway. Employers like CCNA more, wish I know that a while back. But its ok, because half the CCNA stuff is Network +. So im preparred to some extent.
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 11:50:49 PM »

Originally posted by progmetalaax
After passing 210, 215, & 216, is there anything "new" on 218?  

i don't want to go against the NDA here, but if you have already passed the 210 215 and 216, then you should already have a good knowledge of the 217 material, so passing the 218 is not all that out of reach...

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
everetjo
Synergist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 09:23:10 PM »

218 is more of a troubleshooting and action based exam from what i remember.  As Freak said, you should be comfortable with about 50-75% of the material already.  If you work with active directory and understand how it functions, you'll do very well.

Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once.
IronMaiden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 07:27:16 AM »

Be prepared for a big number of troubleshooting questions.
"Troubleshooting"is the keyword for this exam  - troubleshotting resource access, troubleshooting network configuration, troubleshooting group policy. etc...
wertop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 09:43:17 AM »

He he... the name of the exam should be changed to "Troubleshooting and repiring Windows 2000 networks"  Smiley

Originally posted by IronMaiden
...Be prepared for a big number of troubleshooting questions.
"Troubleshooting"is the keyword for this exam...
ODNation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:26:05 PM »

If all else fails...pick last known good configuration :p
freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 10:43:44 AM »

well, there is a reason for that. A test is made to let a student show off the skills they possess on a certain topic. If you can show those skills, you pass. Simple as that.

Now asking troubleshooting questions is an easy way to make a student show one or several skills inside of the same question. That's why they are popular questions to write.

The other reason is that answering troubleshooting questions shows more than being able to learn a book by rote. They show the ability to sort through your knowledge and see how each bit applies - or does not - to a given situation, skill that all engineers certainly should possess!

Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, Security+, CEH, CEI, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify dot net
: Free Forum, quizzes, study guides...

FreakNotes.com: free subnetting, DHCP, Network Security study guides! Also 120-page Security+ book and 100+ page Network+ book!

InfoSecWeb.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: