pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:36:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  SOS! Formatting F:\ drive instead of E:\ by mistake!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SOS! Formatting F:\ drive instead of E:\ by mistake!  (Read 1695 times)
asadi

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2004, 12:30:08 PM »

My F:\ drive was formatted... This drive contains very sensitive and important folders files (10 GB). Please let me know what can I do for restoring all my files and folder in this formatted drive? Which software should I use? Do you have a good source?

Sad Story: Sad
I wanted to format my E:\ drive, so I used "Windows 98 boot disk", booting with this boot disk and then I used Format E:\ command for formatting this drive. After booting to Windows2000Server (at D drive) I remembered that this drive is NTFS and I formatted my F drive instead of E!

I did not do any thing like deleting file, adding file after this mistake, just turned off the computer and start to crying and crying!!:( Sad  Someone tolled me that I can restore and recover some of my files,not folders, and it needs a lot of times.......

Please help...Sad

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."
Thomas Alva Edison, 1932

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

Don't put off until tomarrow what can be done today.
Teck Shark
Caffeine Fueled Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 05:27:11 PM »

Originally posted by asadi
My F:\ drive was formatted... This drive contains very sensitive and important folders files (10 GB). Please let me know what can I do for restoring all my files and folder in this formatted drive? Which software should I use? Do you have a good source?

Sad Story: Sad
I wanted to format my E:\ drive, so I used "Windows 98 boot disk", booting with this boot disk and then I used Format E:\ command for formatting this drive. After booting to Windows2000Server (at D drive) I remembered that this drive is NTFS and I formatted my F drive instead of E!

I did not do any thing like deleting file, adding file after this mistake, just turned off the computer and start to crying and crying!!:( Sad  Someone tolled me that I can restore and recover some of my files,not folders, and it needs a lot of times.......

Please help...Sad

You should still be able to recover most of your data.  All you need is a good data recovery program.  I swear by Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional.  I've used it for years now & it constantly amazes me how much I've been able to recover.  Good luck to you.  Ontrack is somewhat expensive, but it will pay for itself in no time!!!  Wink

Tech Shark
MCSE 2000
MCSA 2000 Charter Member
A+, Net+

Words to Live by:
"No! Try not.  Do, or do not.  There is no try!"

Einstein's theory of relativity:
"Put your hands on a hot pan, a second can seem like an hour. Grab hold of a hot woman, an hour can seem like a second... it's all relative!"

Sound Advice:
"You shouldn't take life too seriously.  You'll never get out alive!"
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 09:42:38 PM »

Originally posted by Teck Shark
You should still be able to recover most of your data.  All you need is a good data recovery program.  I swear by Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional.  I've used it for years now & it constantly amazes me how much I've been able to recover.  Good luck to you.  Ontrack is somewhat expensive, but it will pay for itself in no time!!!  Wink

I agree Ontrack is one of the best.  However if he did a long format instead of the default quick format he could be in lots of trouble.  The sectors will contain zeros.
eljefe79
Monkeyboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 01:27:05 AM »

Truly, How important is the data or rather how much are you willing to spend? Sure, you can use Easy Recovery 6 Professional but you may not get as much back as going with a professional recovery service. Not all file types are recoverable with their software. Worse yet, the longer the effective drive remains in use and is tampered with, the greater the chance of data degredation.

Frankly, I've been amazed at what they have been able to recover. As an example, we had a disgruntled employee run a double format /u and scandisk on a drive. Well, CSC shipped it off to their lab in West VA. Yes that lab and low and behold.. 97% recovery. Of course, the price was extra-ordinary.

In past situations similar to yours, I would say a reasonable recovery rate is $1500- $2500

The last recovery that we did on a job was about 1 year ago and cost 2200. You can try get competing bids.

I've recently used the following vendors for data recovery

http://www.ontrack.com
http://www.datarecoveryclinic.com
http://www.pivar.com

as a side note about pivar, they were able to do some specialized data recovery on old...old media systems that used some specialized copyright protection

I suspect your thinking that backups would have been a nice touch right about now...:eek:

Good Luck

Regards,

Jefe

You want me to do what by when? Sure, boss, sure I can make a pig fly! But, neither the pig nor the SPCA will be happy about the landing!   eljefe 10/1/99
eljefe79
Monkeyboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 01:42:45 AM »

Darn Asadi, I didn't notice that you were in Iran, that changes things.....however I'd still recommend going with a data recovery service.

Good luck

Regards,

Jefe

You want me to do what by when? Sure, boss, sure I can make a pig fly! But, neither the pig nor the SPCA will be happy about the landing!   eljefe 10/1/99
Teck Shark
Caffeine Fueled Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 12:44:32 PM »

Originally posted by azimuth40
I agree Ontrack is one of the best.  However if he did a long format instead of the default quick format he could be in lots of trouble.  The sectors will contain zeros.

Very true.

Tech Shark
MCSE 2000
MCSA 2000 Charter Member
A+, Net+

Words to Live by:

"Put your hands on a hot pan, a second can seem like an hour. Grab hold of a hot woman, an hour can seem like a second... it's all relative!"

Sound Advice:
Teck Shark
Caffeine Fueled Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 12:49:11 PM »

Originally posted by eljefe79
Truly, How important is the data or rather how much are you willing to spend? Sure, you can use Easy Recovery 6 Professional but you may not get as much back as going with a professional recovery service. Not all file types are recoverable with their software. Worse yet, the longer the effective drive remains in use and is tampered with, the greater the chance of data degredation.

Frankly, I've been amazed at what they have been able to recover. As an example, we had a disgruntled employee run a double format /u and scandisk on a drive. Well, CSC shipped it off to their lab in West VA. Yes that lab and low and behold.. 97% recovery. Of course, the price was extra-ordinary.

In past situations similar to yours, I would say a reasonable recovery rate is $1500- $2500

The last recovery that we did on a job was about 1 year ago and cost 2200. You can try get competing bids.

I've recently used the following vendors for data recovery

http://www.ontrack.com
http://www.datarecoveryclinic.com
http://www.pivar.com

as a side note about pivar, they were able to do some specialized data recovery on old...old media systems that used some specialized copyright protection

I suspect your thinking that backups would have been a nice touch right about now...:eek:

Good Luck

I know what you mean.  I had a client call me with a critical failure on a laptop HD, and of course... no backups.  We ended up sending the drive to Ontrack and they recovered 98% of the drive, which included all the critical data.  So I reimaged his laptop, loaded all the recovered data, and set him up with a data backup solution.  $1500 to Ontrack, and another nice chunck of change for my services.  Ontrack has assisted me in making some very happy clients.Wink

Tech Shark
MCSE 2000
MCSA 2000 Charter Member
A+, Net+

Words to Live by:

Sound Advice:
asadi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 06:02:13 AM »

Thanks all for your help... Smiley
I used FileRecovery Profetional which is not a full copy, a copy that recover just the files, so I had to re-creat all the folders. I recovered entire my files and put them in thire provouse folder it took several hours!!

and yes, I know, from now, I should back up my sensitive data.Smiley  It was much easier than creating 4,656 folders for recovering more than 60,669 files in it's prevouse stait.

Just curiously, is there a way for ormatting a drive and don't let any software to recover the data?Wink Wink

and eljefe79, there are a lot of program (maybe all) can you find here in Iran. just come here you will see Wink

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."
Thomas Alva Edison, 1932

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

Don't put off until tomarrow what can be done today.
eljefe79
Monkeyboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 06:15:01 PM »

Originally posted by asadi
Thanks all for your help... Smiley
I used FileRecovery Profetional which is not a full copy, a copy that recover just the files, so I had to re-creat all the folders. I recovered entire my files and put them in thire provouse folder it took several hours!!

Just curiously, is there a way for ormatting a drive and don't let any software to recover the data?Wink Wink

Your welcome Asadi

Glad to hear you could retrieve your data..

There are several programs out there that will zero out your drive. Current standards are at lease 6 passes of 1s and 0s.

I downloaded the maxtor utility disk the other day and it had a security erase program, gateway's gwscan.exe has one for multiple vendors and of of course there are numerous freeware and pay versions out there.

Some day Asadi.....Some day Smiley

Good luck

Regards,

Jefe

everetjo
Synergist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »

Does anyone use any type of network data recovery program for windows 2000(other than backup)...something that will do same day recovery?

The only one I've heard of was Undelete.

thanks

Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: