pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange server 2000
| | | |-+  Moving mailbox in Exchange 5.5
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moving mailbox in Exchange 5.5  (Read 3030 times)
Spides
Never stop a volunteer.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2004, 09:26:17 AM »

When you move a mailbox in Exchange 5.5, will the Import/Export save up to the Exchange server. I need to move a mailbox, so I was going to rename his old mailbox SMTP address so not deleteing his old mailbox. then create a new mailbox on the Exchange server we have to move to and then import his mail in his outlook. Will this then save the mail up to the Exchange server. I can't just use Move Mailbox as the server it has to move to isn't in the list. Cheers........

jkhnwspec
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 03:40:10 PM »

Originally posted by Spides
When you move a mailbox in Exchange 5.5, will the Import/Export save up to the Exchange server. I need to move a mailbox, so I was going to rename his old mailbox SMTP address so not deleteing his old mailbox. then create a new mailbox on the Exchange server we have to move to and then import his mail in his outlook. Will this then save the mail up to the Exchange server. I can't just use Move Mailbox as the server it has to move to isn't in the list. Cheers........

The best method to employ might depend on how "big" their current mailbox is now and whether they are going to be getting a new SMTP address.  Judging by your question, this new Exchange server is apparently in a different Organization than the existing one and that makes it difficult to move a mailbox across servers.  I would create a mailbox on the new server for this person and forward his mail from the old server to the new.  You would need to create this recipient and it would be best to "hide" it from the GAL.  This would be done on the old server.  Once the new mailbox has been created, I would use a PST file, if one isn't in use now, and copy all from the Exchange server to this PST file.  If the PST file is sizable, you would need to find some appropriate medium to send it to the new location, unless the PC they currently use is going to follow along.  At the new location I would then point Outlook to this PST file and copy what they wanted to keep, up to the new Exchange server.  That is, if they are keeping their mail on the Exchange server and not using a PST file.  Please note I've left a bit out, as I expect you've been around an Exchange server for a bit, so I didn't include all minute details of the move/copy.
ChrisDfer
Certified Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 03:45:10 PM »

How hard is it to setup exchange? I think I might do that in my lab. Hmmmm, sounds like fun.
jkhnwspec
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 04:25:10 PM »

Originally posted by ChrisDfer
How hard is it to setup exchange? I think I might do that in my lab. Hmmmm, sounds like fun.

Not sure about the 2000 and 2003 product, but the 5.5 product seemed rather simple.  MS included a 120 day eval version of 5.5 when I took the Accelerated training course a few years ago, but I understand it (the 120 day eval that is) had problems out of the box.  You may need to search MS's site for specifics.  If you can, I would strongly recommend installing SP4 on your test box too, if it is 5.5 you are playing around with.
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 04:56:13 PM »

Originally posted by ChrisDfer

5.5 is such a pain in the arse. From what I hear 2000/2003 make it so much easier.

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
jkhnwspec
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 06:15:38 PM »

Originally posted by ruscorp
5.5 is such a pain in the arse. From what I hear 2000/2003 make it so much easier.

What part of the 5.5 install did you have trouble with?  Mine seemed to be fairly painless.  A few clicks here, enter a bit of information there, a few more clicks and Exchange was running.  I will admit it has not been as easy to maintain, especially with all the cretins out there that seem to make it their destiny in life to bring it down. :rolleyes:

The latest seems to be what some have dubbed as a reverse DOS.
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 06:50:52 PM »

Originally posted by jkhnwspec
What part of the 5.5 install did you have trouble with?

getting exchange to play nice with external smtp servers.

in other words ims.

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
Enforcer
Confusion Master
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 07:13:46 PM »

putting copy in exchange forum.

I know Mr Black likes these to keep him on his toes. Wink

Confusion Says :

If you wish to play mind games, make sure you have the prerequisite before you start.

Enforcer web site

Admin:
En4cer

BMW Carputers

Super M
lenee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 08:03:37 PM »

Use the Following Link
Exmerge.exe
This tool will allow you to dump the all messages for all folders into a PST file. Then all you have to do is merge the data back into the new exchange server for the respective mailbox. Just remember that the directory name is very important and make sure that it matches back to the new mailbox directory name.( if it doesn't just rename the PST file the the name you want and run the tool)
Spides
Never stop a volunteer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 06:21:43 AM »

Thanks for the onfo guys but i am on a customers site and I can't run any tools on their Exchange servers. What I was going to do was create a new mailbox on the new server, change the smtp address on the old server. The import the pst file back into his outlook once I have the user pointing to the new exchange server. All I was wondering was will it copy the new mail to the new exchange mailbox once I have imported the mail. I guess F5 synchronzing the mail would do this would it not..........

jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 01:59:18 PM »

Seems like there is a bigger problem if you can't just move the mailbox from one server to another. Is the new server part of the same Exchange organization?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: