pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-214
| | | |-+  Specialization‘«ŲMCSA: Security
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Specialization‘«ŲMCSA: Security  (Read 5255 times)
Rutro
Junior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6

0


View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2003, 04:13:59 PM »

Bascially I'm on my way to trying to get get the Spec in security my question is so far have people that actually have jobs or the certs right now finding that the Spec is even worth it?

Thanx in advance
Logged
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2723

2


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 07:15:08 PM »

First off, you have to figure Microsoft is not renowned for their security - Not a criticism, just an observation. Second, when they announced this special designation, they did not release any new exams, just lined up existing ones that have security as the central topic. So, from an employers standpoint, I doubt it will garner you an extreme edge over the regular certification.

I would like to qualify the above statements. I don't want to discourage you from going this route, just do it for the right reasons. If you proceed in this direction, for MCSE + Security you will take 214, 220 and 227. No these won't make you a security expert, by any means. But you will get exposure in a good portion of the topics that concern security. Consider it a starting point for further study and experience. I have taken the 220 as part of my MCSE and I took the beta for 214 and passed it. From where I stand right now, I am looking to upgrade to MCSE 2003 and test out on Exchange 2000 or 2003. Would I go back and take 227 to get the + Security designation, maybe, but probably not. If they make a + Security for 2003, I might.

I just don't expect to see the MCSE + Security garner the kind of respect that the big vendor neutral certs for security get, and rightly so. To actually qualify for some of these certs, you have to have verifiable experience in the security field, with recommendations from your peers, this before you can even take the test.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!
Logged
Fugaz13
Senior Member
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 145

0


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 07:37:52 PM »

Well Jeff.. looks like you get your 2003 security..

2003 security
Logged
slinthi
Professor
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 140

2


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 04:52:41 AM »

Guess I'll join the discussion and put in my $0.02.  Any effort put towards increasing your knowledge in network security is helpful.  My viewpoint relative to focus areas are security and wireless.  One thing I've done for the past 10 years is follow Microsoft's lead.  Their focus is clearly in these two area.  If you want to a reasonable ROI on your certification efforts, I'd focus on learning as much as I could on securing wireless networks in a M$ environment.  This will really become big when the IEEE finalizes the 802.11i standard.

I plan to take the 70-214 exam on Monday.  I'll advise as to my opinion of the test.

Regards,

Steve Linthicum
Professor, Computer Science
Sierra College
Logged
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2723

2


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 08:17:56 PM »

Good luck Professor slinthi! Let us know how it goes.
Logged
adam salam
IT Fan
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1265

2


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 04:22:19 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by jeff_j_black
First off, you have to figure Microsoft is not renowned for their security - Not a criticism, just an observation. Second, when they announced this special designation, they did not release any new exams, just lined up existing ones that have security as the central topic. So, from an employers standpoint, I doubt it will garner you an extreme edge over the regular certification.

I would like to qualify the above statements. I don't want to discourage you from going this route, just do it for the right reasons. If you proceed in this direction, for MCSE + Security you will take 214, 220 and 227. No these won't make you a security expert, by any means. But you will get exposure in a good portion of the topics that concern security. Consider it a starting point for further study and experience. I have taken the 220 as part of my MCSE and I took the beta for 214 and passed it. From where I stand right now, I am looking to upgrade to MCSE 2003 and test out on Exchange 2000 or 2003. Would I go back and take 227 to get the + Security designation, maybe, but probably not. If they make a + Security for 2003, I might.

I just don't expect to see the MCSE + Security garner the kind of respect that the big vendor neutral certs for security get, and rightly so. To actually qualify for some of these certs, you have to have verifiable experience in the security field, with recommendations from your peers, this before you can even take the test.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!



Really I feel disappointed, I have spend the last year to get my MCSA and I have really worked hard and spent fairly a good amount off money and time ‘«Űoff course- .

After that I have done 217 exam and decided to point to the +Security title.

Have I go the wrong way? Because I have started with Cisco CCNA and suddenly instead off completing the Cisco certification path changed to MS certification path as I have seen the MS career certificate have the most of the job market.

Now I have read that Microsoft Announces New Version of Security Specialist Titles!!!

http://mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=605

I have already nearly finished studying a 220 book of  800 pages !!!
 
does that mean taking the 220, 214, 227 for MCSE+Security, and doing Only 2 exams to upgrade to 2003 are waste of time, for 2003 +Security?

I thought as the outlined information in MS web site that for Security specializing the security exams didn‘«÷t change from w2k and 2003 server.

What should do?
Logged

Best Regards
Adam
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2723

2


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 02:03:07 PM »

From what I recall, for the MCSE 2003:Security, you need 298, 299 and 227.
Logged
adam salam
IT Fan
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1265

2


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 04:02:06 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by jeff_j_black
From what I recall, for the MCSE 2003:Security, you need 298, 299 and 227.


I thought If I get the MCSE+Sec 2000, and do only Exam 70-292 and Exam 70-296, that will upgrade me to MCSE+Sec 2003.

cause the Securirty requiremnets for both 2000 and 2003 are the same materials, and Exam 70-292 and Exam 70-296 just for Server 2003 new environment.

 what do you think?
Logged

Best Regards
Adam
Barko
Junior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 20

0


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 04:57:59 PM »

adam, look again at the article you linked to, especially the comments section at the end. According to a "MS" person, to upgrade from MCSE 2000 Security to 2003 security you need to take 292, 296 upgrade exams plus 298, 299 security exams. 227 of course would carry over.

-Barko
Logged

Don't sweat the hard stuff...
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2723

2


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:31:09 AM »

MCSE: Security on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
Logged
adam salam
IT Fan
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1265

2


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 09:18:11 AM »

Quote
Originally posted by Barko
adam, look again at the article you linked to, especially the comments section at the end. According to a "MS" person, to upgrade from MCSE 2000 Security to 2003 security you need to take 292, 296 upgrade exams plus 298, 299 security exams. 227 of course would carry over.





Quote


Thaks

Duh; :rolleyes:  Hope MS stay at that Requirements for a while :rolleyes:
Logged

Best Regards
Adam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!