pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:47:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  motherboard fails its POST ASUS A7N8X
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: motherboard fails its POST ASUS A7N8X  (Read 486 times)
rach1902

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2003, 07:37:27 AM »

I am currently assembling my own self-build PC and have decided upon an
ASUS A7N8X motherboard, considering it is so highly regarded. All other components are being used for the first time.
CPU------   ATHLON XP 2600 333 MHz  256K cache
CASE-----   AOPEN H600A    300 Watts
MEMORY---   Samsung 512 MB  PC3200/400 Hz DDR

After switching on the power supply for the first time the motherboard failed its initial POST routine,, there were no beeps whatsoever from the speaker, and no display output from ( known-working) LCD monitor. However the PSU does supply power to the motherboard as evidenced by the fact that upon switching the power, the fans on the CPU/heatsink worked, as did the fans on the system case and that on the PSU itself.
Jumper settings on the motherboard were also correct and were left in their original default settings, likewise the cables from the system case to the motherboard have also been checked.

I believe that I have isolated the fault down to the motherboard by disconnecting all peripheral components to the motherboard, leaving just a VGA Card and a sound card as well as the CPU/heatsink on the board. Again after switching on power, only the 3 fans mentioned worked and again there was the same failure of the POST routine and still no beeps, as I would expect to hear.

I have disassembled everything and have decided to return motherboard back to vendor, whereupon I noticed that there was a slight browning ( burning ?) discoloration to the upper side of the CPU and also to the ( opposite ) lower side of the heatsink cooler. (I assume I was using sufficient silver thermal paste to protect these 2 components having followed manufacturers instructions correctly). Do you think that I am correct in assuming that the motherboard is at fault (or might it be something else?).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: