pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 07:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  64-bit affair
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 64-bit affair  (Read 1435 times)
Swigga
Funkateer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2003, 05:13:02 PM »

Hi

Does anyone know the technical difference, and limitations between the AMD Opteron Processors, and their FX 64 bit counterparts?  I've been to the site, and read the benchmarks, but still no clear cut answer is obvious.  Thanks

- Jay

azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 09:38:28 PM »

Use the Source Luke
Yes O-b-one

Remember SX and DX in a 486 but you could not tell differences in normal benchmarks?  Well this time FX has to do with I/O and multiprocessor capability.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699_7980%5E7986,00.html#62676

crap it does not always put you at the right line.

===========
Q: What are the differences between the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron processors?

A: The upcoming AMD Opteron and AMD Athlon 64 processors are designed for different markets. For the server/workstation market, the AMD Opteron processor will undergo more stringent validation and reliability testing. Another difference will be in the number of HyperTransport links embedded on the chip. The AMD Athlon 64 processor will contain one HyperTransport link offering 6.4 GB/s data transfer while the AMD Opteron processor will offer three links. The processors will also contain different amounts of cache.
===========
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:43:02 PM by azimuth40 » Logged
Swigga
Funkateer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 03:56:33 PM »

What is the true difference (besides price)?  Plus, what is the version of Windows that is being sold on the prefab models?  WinXP 64-bit  edition is in Beta, and according to the copy I have, for the Itanium 2 only.  Are they selling this "64-bit" system with it running a 32-bit OS, in a 32 bit process?  If so that is lame.  Like a 4 cyl engine in a Mustang, lame...

azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 07:39:48 PM »

Originally posted by Swigga
What is the true difference (besides price)?  Plus, what is the version of Windows that is being sold on the prefab models?  WinXP 64-bit  edition is in Beta, and according to the copy I have, for the Itanium 2 only.  Are they selling this "64-bit" system with it running a 32-bit OS, in a 32 bit process?  If so that is lame.  Like a 4 cyl engine in a Mustang, lame...

I don't know who "they" is.  Neither Intel or AMD sell an OS with their chips as far as I know.  There is a WinXP 64 in beta for AMD, I actually think it came before the Itanium one.  Most people playing with 64 bit chips are using Linux distributions. The reason that your see Athlon64's in general distribution is because it can do the lame 32 bit thing and faster apparently than a AthlonXP. Itanium has no other options since it can't run a 32bit OS.  

As far as the hyperchannel, the argument is that you don't need more than one unless you are a server or using multiple processors.  A server can really blase with three separate I/O paths compared to the single one afforded the 32 bit machines.  So you are right on the desktop there is no difference other than price until you need the massive cache.  

Since the test routines all fit in even the smallest cache model you will see no difference in the benchmarks.  The same used to be true in the pentium versus pentium-pro days until people figured out how to break things to see true performance. Such is life on the bleeding edge.
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 02:40:44 PM »

Oh I forgot to mention in my last post that AMD is following the backwards compatibility path that Intel abandoned.  One has to remember that it was quit a while after the 386 and 486 came out before there was any 32 bit code to run on them.  Everyone ran 16 bit windows 3.0/3.1 and 16 bit OS/2.  32 bit drivers were about the only code used to speed them up, the applications were all 16 bit.

A extremely persistent rumor in the press is that Intel has a hybrid chip also. It is codenamed Yamhill and uses the hybrid AMD64 instructions as a fall back position.  Many of the crystal ball types in the press and stock market say that if AMD continues with its huge wins in the 64 bit area that Intel may have to swallow its pride and unwrap Yamhill.

Itanium was supposed to sell 100,000 pieces this year.  Unless it happens it the next few weeks then 2003 will be a disaster for Itanium.  On the other hand there are already even laptops announced for AMD64
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 07:19:48 PM »

Tyan has a 4 CPU opteron motherboard.  Here are some pictures before they disappear again.

http://2cpu.co.kr/zboard/zboard.php?id=2DEX&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=46
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: