pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-219
| | | |-+  70-219
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 70-219  (Read 1659 times)
jbachandouris

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2003, 11:17:13 AM »

I have just 2 exams to complete for an MCSE 2000. Unfortunately, I am not presently working in the field and do not have space or money to create a home lab. I have taken courses at a local CTEC. I have passed 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, 70-217, and 70-218. Both the 216 and 217 required 2 tries to pass.
 The question is can the 70-219 be passed with only books and practice test questions?

I realize that would make me a paper MCSE, but I cannot find any full-time IT positions at all in my area due to lack of recent experience. Since I have a wife and daughter, my options are limited.
dok klene

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 12:04:10 PM »

the designing exams are actually less hands-on and more theory then the other exams.

You can find good free resources for 219 at technet.  The domain migration cookbook and chapters 9 & 10 of the deployment guide.

I would also recommend getting a practice test that mirrors the Case study setup of this exam.  If you are not ready for the case study style of questions, they can really throw you.

(dok klene here = ajs1976 at that other place)

Andy
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 11:37:41 PM »

Any cert is a paper cert. This includes formal diplomas also. The real world is often the real equalizer. (not trying to devalue the work most of us have done, just being realistic). Certs almost always demonstrate fundamental knowledge, seldom a measure of ability or skill. (anyone want to retake the exams cold after 6 months?)

As far as 219 goes, I took a 20 hour CTEC course, and didn't feel it was near enough to prepare. That said, the 219 is probably the easiest design exam because it is based on fundamentals from the core 4.

Definitely read and thoroughly understand the resource kit chapters 9 & 10. Also read as many white papers from Microsofts website as you can on AD design. Refresh your memory on everything about AD and the 216 materials. Also consider getting the Microsoft readiness review book for 219 if you feel you want additional confidence to pass on the first try.

The cert alone will likely not help much if you can't get some hands on experience, check into volunteer work in your area or internships if you have the free time. Anything IT related will provide the opportunity to build your skills.

And remember:

There are many ways to put a network together, and then there is the "Microsoft Way".
seastwood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 10:26:28 PM »

The design exams are just theory, I don't think practical experience is of as much use as in some of the core exams. I am in the industry but our company hasn't moved to AD yet (6 months time) so I had no experience with using AD but found 219 an easy exam. Check resources on the net and especially on the MS site, get hold of some practice exams and get used to dealing with case studies. I found them more interesting to do than other exams as they feel a bit more 'real world'. 219 also doesn't offer any new information over what you have learnt in the core exams it's really just an amalgamation of ideas.

Good luck, with a bit of practice you'll cruise through.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: