pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Monitor question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Monitor question  (Read 1225 times)
astallard

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2003, 03:20:21 PM »

I bought a used Sun Ultra 5 machine. It has a VGA port to be used with a PC monitor. However, when I turn it on I can hear it booting up, but nothing appears on the monitor. (The monitor is on, but the connection is not working.) I was wondering if anybody has had a similiar problem with these machines? Is it likely that I have a bad video card?

"What do you care what other people think?"

Richard P. Feynman
curiousgeorge
learn through asking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 12:13:38 AM »

First look at the very basic things. Is the brightness/ contrast turned all the way down? Try using another monitor to make sure it's not the monitor that's bad. If you don't get any video with a second monitor, it's your video card.

MCSA Charter Member
MCSE Early Achiever
Server+
Dell certified
HP certified
jkhnwspec
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 07:25:21 PM »

Originally posted by astallard
I bought a used Sun Ultra 5 machine. It has a VGA port to be used with a PC monitor. However, when I turn it on I can hear it booting up, but nothing appears on the monitor. (The monitor is on, but the connection is not working.) I was wondering if anybody has had a similiar problem with these machines? Is it likely that I have a bad video card?

Maybe you need something from this page for it to work.
astallard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 06:24:33 PM »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I do not need a Sun/VGA video adapter, becuase my machine already has the right port to work with PC's.

In addition, I have this bizarre symptom when I turn it on. The monitors start out green, and then go back to amber in a second. Is this a symptom of bad video chips, and that getting a card would help? (This machine has no video card. The video port is attached directly to the mother board.)  I don't want to spend money on a Sun-compatible PCI video card of it won't help.

Andrew Stallard

"What do you care what other people think?"

Richard P. Feynman
DaDnDe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 12:03:54 AM »

so your computer does have a port labeled VGA? hmmm... i only have experience with a few suns and i have no idea what version or anything else they were, but i do no that standard VGA monitors are not wired the same. to use a regular pc monitor the plug had to be rewired which is what happened with the machines i was familiar with. this had to do with having different video controls completely. also i dont know if this is pertinent or not, but older models had to be configured differently for different monitors, so u might be farther ahead to go to the monitors web site to check for solaris drivers. suns dont boot the same way that pc's do so drivers are completely different.

"Nuchi du takara"
"Life is a treasure"

http://www.besttests.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: