pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange server 2000
| | | |-+  cannot receive mail on Exch 2k
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: cannot receive mail on Exch 2k  (Read 2640 times)
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2003, 07:11:58 PM »

I could use a little help here.  I am using an Exchange 2k server and Oulook client and have this problem.  I can send mail out to others, but I cannot receive mail.  However, I can successfully Telnet using the "mail to:" and "rcpt to:" "data", etc. and it will drop the message into the que.  When I go to a hotmail account, for example, and try to send mail it is never received on the Exchange server.  Also, when anybody tries to email to this server, it appears to send but never gets to the server and no NDR is received.  Up until yesterday, I was able to receive mail and then changed some things in the System Manager to secure from relaying (in the Default SMTP Server), but I believe I have changed everything back.  It's only my eyes on the server and maybe I'm overlooking something.  Any idea's?

Thanks
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 11:41:13 PM »

You are probably on the correct track, something you changed is now misconfigured.

What exactly did you change to secure from relaying?

What are the current settings for the default server?

Also, you may want to review your logs after you send a test message to see how the message is being handled.

If the mail is not being received then possibly your configuration is blocking the hotmail server due to smtp issues. IF hotmail is not dropping mail while telnet is, then possibly hotmail is not satisfied with your servers response or it is not locating your server due to DNS issues. Have you verified that external servers can resolve to your server?
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 12:25:13 AM »

What I changed was on the "default SMTP virtual server" PROPERTIES-ACCESS-RELAY and removed the check from "Allow all users which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above"  Also, on AUTHENTICATION, I have checked the Anonymous, Basic and Requires TLS encryption.  I know that I changed these and think I have them corrected.  As for the CONNECTION Control, I have the dot in the ONLY THE LIST BELOW radio button and have the (inside)networks network.

YES, I can do an "nslookup" from an outside source and the name of the server is resolved.  As explained before, I CAN TELNET to the public address that that the server sits on and the server responds and I CAN send a test message that DOES get through to the queue.  Plus, it's not just Hotmail, rather it's ALL mail (except Telnet) that is blocked.

I am in agreement that some misconfiguration is causing the incoming SMTP to be blocked, but I seem to have a block of my own going on and can't see the problem.  I'm still looking and reading though and if you have any other ideas . . .

Thanks
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 12:31:41 AM »

have you restarted the virtual server services after correcting things?

My thought is that the configuration information is read/applied at service startup.

might have to restart IIS?
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 12:45:46 AM »

and check the next box down "integrated windows authentication"

Those are the original/default settings from a clean install.
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 04:07:13 PM »

Still working on it, but YES I have stopped & restarted the virtual server as well as every dependent exchange/iis service, plus I rebooted the whole system.  Still no good.  Also, I put the check back into the "integrated windows ..." thanks

I'm thinking again about DNS issues because although I can TELNET to send mail via the servers IP address, I'm wondering if the server name is not getting resolved correctly for every domain trying to reach it.  I ran the on DNSreport.com and it came back with some MX baddies.  I ran the and it said that the under the MX listing the "host" name was listed as an IP address instead of the host name.  It also said that this could cause some mail to reach me and some not.  On the "mail test" when I ran it says: Bogus MX record - xx.xx.xxx.xx. is supposed to be a hostname, not an IP!]  So, I'm now back on the DNS/MX track.  I emailed the host of my address and he's "looking into it"

What do you think?

Thanks
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 08:40:18 PM »

Have you gotten any "undeliverable" message reports from the other servers you are routing through? For example did "hotmail" ever indicate that it couldn't locate your server by dns lookup?

It sure sounds fishy about how your mx records are hosted.

You could try addressing the message with your IP address after the "@". It should work like telnet.

If your "mx" records on the DNS host aren't correct then that will definitely have to be corrected before you can effectively troubleshoot further.

keep me posted.
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 12:19:37 AM »

Thanks again for keeping up with me Smiley

After 2 days, I have indeed received the NDR's from hotmail as well as from other accounts.  

"Your document: test  was not delivered to: me@mydomain.com because: Router: Failed to connect to SMTP host MYDOMAIN.COM because: Remote system no longer responding."

Is this looking to you like it can't find me or is it incorrect settings within Exchange?  

I've tried to use the me@ but that doesn't work.  I can't do it that way via Telnet either.  Once I Telnet to the E2K server via it's ip address 25 (i.e: telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25) and after doing the "helo" and "mail from: name@somewhere.com" I must use "rcpt to: me@mydomain.com".  You cannot use "me@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" or it'll error out.  
However, since I use "me@mydomain.com" using Telnet, doesn't this indicate that my settings are correct on the E2K server since it's using SMTP through a Telnet session?  And the reason why the message went through via Telnet is because I contacted the E2K server via it's IP address.  Is this correct?

Thanks again:)
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 01:21:37 AM »

right,

using telnet with your ip address and successfully connecting and passing mail tells me that the server itself is reponding as it should.

Think you are on the right track sticking with DNS host and mx record troubleshooting until you can successfully resolve by name.

You said that everything worked at one time initially, correct? How long was it working before you made the changes that started you down this path? Is this a production system or are you just testing things out?
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 08:03:07 PM »

The email server is my business email server, so it being down is crunching me. I'm working around this via a hotmail account for receiving outside mail.  Inside, there's no problem in emailing one account to the next and receiving the email.  

Re: how long was it working?

It worked fine for 1+ yrs.  Then I had to change the IP address for it and it gets a little fuzzy from here.  I think that during the time it takes for the replication of the new IP throughout the global DNS databases is the time I started doing too much reading about "relaying".  Then I started doing diligence, or so I thought.  So, it's what came first the chicken or the egg.  In other words,is it something that I did on the server or is it the DNS/MX issues?  Because of the slow response from the folks who were hosting my DNS records, (These guys are hosting my company website and I changed to their DNS servers when they started hosting my site), I've changed back to the ISP who is hosting my domain name to use their DNS servers.  Why change to the domain name host DNS servers?  Because I have control of the records and can make my own changes as I wish.  Now I have to wait the obigatory 48hrs for the changes to work through the system.  If this doesn't work, then I know that it's something that I screwed up along the way.

Thanks again  Smiley
em_ar_ducks

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 08:57:28 PM »

My guess is that while some of the changes you made to relaying may have contributed to the confusion factor, the real issue may be with DNS. Especially since you changed hosts & ip addresses, and now have a verifiable resolution issue.

Glad to see that you have control of the host records that you are now moving to. That should ensure that you know what is happening.

Let me know if this does clear things up for you. At this point I am really curious how this problem resolves since I have minimal experience with Exchange, somewhat more experience with another product.

By the way, you have "unchecked" TLS haven't you? I may not have been clear when I told you what the default settings are.

good luck...
subnet__zero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 06:35:56 PM »

after I got fed up with not being able to find the problem.  I just backed up the mail folders to .pst's and removed Exchange, the org and lot's of other things that go along with it. Reinstalled E2K, imported the .pst's and now everythings is Shangrila.

Thanks for the interest and advice.Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: