pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:44:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  Exchange server 2000
| | | |-+  Books for Exchange 2000
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Books for Exchange 2000  (Read 4419 times)
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2003, 02:47:21 PM »

Originally posted by jeff_j_black
Our staff of consultants:
a) Carry large backlogs of email with attachments.
b) Are limited to 40-something megs for the Exchange Inbox.
c) Archive their inbox to a personal share on a file server.

I have taken to:
a) Warning them when they approach 1 Gig for their archive folder. Everything I have read say that PST files are very likely to corrupt at this mark.
b) Encourage them to break it up by year or project, into new PST.
c) Record the PST to CD-Rom by year or project for their use. They will have to copy it to their workstation and insure that it is not read-only to open it.
d) Make a copy for the company archives. (Consider the legal ramifications of this first!)

There's an option in 5.5 to limit mailboxs? Where is it?

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2003, 05:05:07 PM »

Yeah, they get warnings sent automatically, additional limits can be set to what size their box is before they cannot send mail; and additional limit for when they can no longer receive mail.

Limits page of the mailbox properties.
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2003, 07:02:19 PM »

Yeah, they get warnings sent automatically, additional limits can be set to what size their box is before they cannot send mail; and additional limit for when they can no longer receive mail.

Limits page of the mailbox properties.

This is shows I how lack knowledge of Exchange.

Here's a pic of my admin Exchange 5.5 console. I think I have found it. What exactly should I input? Names have been changed to protect the identity of the user. All users are morons until proven tech-savvy on ExamNotes. Wink

jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2003, 10:11:31 PM »

Yeah, the lower left dialogue box has the three settings I mentioned. There must also be settings for this on the store level, that would effect all users with mailboxes in that store. I love Exchange!
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2003, 10:50:26 PM »

Yeah, the lower left dialogue box has the three settings I mentioned. There must also be settings for this on the store level, that would effect all users with mailboxes in that store. I love Exchange!

What do you think is a good limit? I put 5MB as a warning. Monday I will send out an e-Mail offically large mailboxes.

ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2003, 10:51:17 PM »

Oops, forgot to attach.

jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2003, 12:46:12 AM »

Depends on your business and your current situation. If they have a lot of attachments you could be up for a long swim at 5MB. I would definitely do some education on your biggest issue users after getting some support from the business powers that be.
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2003, 12:47:08 PM »

Depends on your business and your current situation. If they have a lot of attachments you could be up for a long swim at 5MB. I would definitely do some education on your biggest issue users after getting some support from the business powers that be.

I just so sick of people ignoring my requests to clean out mailboxes I'm at the point where I'm ready to start enforcing what words. They have no idea what their 100MB mailbox does do the server's response time. Then to top it off have the nerve to complain when it's slow or that box that says "Microsoft Outlook is retrieving information for the Exchange server..."

jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2003, 01:14:27 PM »

Email, especially the accumulation of it is really becoming an issue to be dealt with, that I don't think was really anticipated when it started out. The space, the legal issues, user support, etc. Almost makes you wish to return to postal service or go postal at least!
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2003, 01:48:50 PM »

Email, especially the accumulation of it is really becoming an issue to be dealt with, that I don't think was really anticipated when it started out. The space, the legal issues, user support, etc. Almost makes you wish to return to postal service or go postal at least!

Should I be alarmed at these totals?

theprofessor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2003, 03:03:10 PM »

Originally posted by ruscorp
Can anyone recommand anything?

I'm starting to play running with Exchange.

Back to your original request. I highly recommend the Exchange Server 2000 Administrator's Pocket Consultant from Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-0962-4

I teach Exchange 2000 (using the MOC) and I have not found another book on Exchange 2000 that has such clear explanations. To make things even better, it's small and it's cheap - $18.20 from ProVantage

http://www.provantage.com/buy-22046614-microsoft-press-ms-backoffice-titles-exchange-2000-server-administrator-039-pocket-consultant-shopping.htm
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2003, 03:30:14 PM »

On a related note, if you are interested in having some info on Exchange 2003, the Admin. Pocket Consultant is great as well.

Picked it up at overstock.com for about $17:
ISBN - 0735619786

Originally posted by theprofessor
Back to your original request. I highly recommend the Exchange Server 2000 Administrator's Pocket Consultant from Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-0962-4

I teach Exchange 2000 (using the MOC) and I have not found another book on Exchange 2000 that has such clear explanations. To make things even better, it's small and it's cheap - $18.20 from ProVantage

http://www.provantage.com/buy-22046614-microsoft-press-ms-backoffice-titles-exchange-2000-server-administrator-039-pocket-consultant-shopping.htm
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2003, 03:52:59 PM »

Thanks theprofessor & isles1! Smiley

jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2003, 10:24:49 AM »

Should I be alarmed at these totals?

Well, you got three people who just need a little coaxing or educating. Those are between 150 meg to 300+ meg. If that's all you have in terms of users, you should not have to worry about the potential 16 gig limit (depending on version) for your storage group.

But when they complain of slow response, let them know that when they open Outlook, they essentially have to download their entire inbox. This way you can be the good guy and show them how to speed things up and 'protect' their 'precious data'.

Get them to set up a PST local to their machine, move the older stuff in there, offer to burn a CD of it for archival purposes. My users are lucky enough to be able to store their archive PST in a user share that gets backed up to tape, but we're beginning to try to ease them away from that as it just postpones the problem. Again, everything I've read says that PST are especially prone to corruption at a gig in size. So I use that as the bait to get them to let me put their old stuff on CD.
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2003, 12:37:57 PM »

Well, you got three people who just need a little coaxing or educating. Those are between 150 meg to 300+ meg. If that's all you have in terms of users, you should not have to worry about the potential 16 gig limit (depending on version) for your storage group.

But when they complain of slow response, let them know that when they open Outlook, they essentially have to download their entire inbox. This way you can be the good guy and show them how to speed things up and 'protect' their 'precious data'.

Get them to set up a PST local to their machine, move the older stuff in there, offer to burn a CD of it for archival purposes. My users are lucky enough to be able to store their archive PST in a user share that gets backed up to tape, but we're beginning to try to ease them away from that as it just postpones the problem. Again, everything I've read says that PST are especially prone to corruption at a gig in size. So I use that as the bait to get them to let me put their old stuff on CD.

Sounds like a plan. However I think some users need a little more than coaxing or educating. I think they need their arses kicked by the IT guy for giving me a headache. Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: