pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:16:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  A little hardware Hack
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A little hardware Hack  (Read 1321 times)
prezbedard
M is for MEMBER

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2003, 11:24:44 PM »

This may be just a power botton but you need that to turn on the pc.Smiley

Ok the story. We recently had one of our workstations with a loose power button. My colleague decides to use super glue. Bad idea. The button is now stuck in place.
The power connecter and button are pretty much integrated into this case. First thought was just to get a new case. Then it hit me. Why not get the motherboard layout and replace the power button and other connectors. The LED's and power buttons for this case are aone piece a small ribbon cable which can be pulled off the motherboard but not so easily off the case. I had to literally hack the things off. My replacement(s) were some old connectors from an NEC Ready that have been out of service since we got some new donations. The hacked worked right away. The hard part was putting everything together and getting the connectors to stay put because the case is a piece of crap. I have some pics and will be posting some of them.
Oh and guess what happened when I was getting ready to put this thing back together? The hard drive crashed!! Luckly it was under warranty and we will be RMAing it. We also had a replacement on hand as well. In the end I had a pc with    a non-working reset button, no working LED's but it turns on and saved us from having to spend $40 on a new case.

Do you have a love/hate relationship with computers? Do you yell at your computer and expect it to answer?

TECHNOLOGY no place for wimps!!

BOSTON Red Sox World Series Champions 2007 Smiley

Bedardinc.com
SalemCyberSpace.org
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 12:11:07 AM »

Whatever happened to creative coworkers? :confused:

He should have used bubblegum instead of superglue. Cheesy

Cheers,
TB
nobby67

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 11:39:23 AM »

Originally posted by prezbedard
This may be just a power botton but you need that to turn on the pc.Smiley

Ok the story. We recently had one of our workstations with a loose power button. My colleague decides to use super glue. Bad idea. The button is now stuck in place.
The power connecter and button are pretty much integrated into this case. First thought was just to get a new case. Then it hit me. Why not get the motherboard layout and replace the power button and other connectors. The LED's and power buttons for this case are aone piece a small ribbon cable which can be pulled off the motherboard but not so easily off the case. I had to literally hack the things off. My replacement(s) were some old connectors from an NEC Ready that have been out of service since we got some new donations. The hacked worked right away. The hard part was putting everything together and getting the connectors to stay put because the case is a piece of crap. I have some pics and will be posting some of them.
Oh and guess what happened when I was getting ready to put this thing back together? The hard drive crashed!! Luckly it was under warranty and we will be RMAing it. We also had a replacement on hand as well. In the end I had a pc with    a non-working reset button, no working LED's but it turns on and saved us from having to spend $40 on a new case.

Lol just cost $200 in labour

got the learning bug not bad for carpenter:
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 12:00:21 PM »

Nothing's better than seeing workstations in the office treated like refrigerators. (They put magnets all over them)

Oh yea and the genius who STAPLED the disk to the file he gave someone.

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
prezbedard
M is for MEMBER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 12:11:14 PM »

Originally posted by ruscorp
Nothing's better than seeing workstations in the office treated like refrigerators. (They put magnets all over them)

Oh yea and the genius who STAPLED the disk to the file he gave someone.

:eek: Cheesy :eek: Cheesy

Do you have a love/hate relationship with computers? Do you yell at your computer and expect it to answer?

TECHNOLOGY no place for wimps!!

BOSTON Red Sox World Series Champions 2007 Smiley

Bedardinc.com
SalemCyberSpace.org
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: