pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 08:01:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Certifications and IT jobs/Salaries
| | |-+  What would you
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What would you  (Read 1666 times)
ace123
We Miss you Michael
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2003, 08:51:48 AM »

What would you charge in labor to setup three
computers on a wireless network?

A+ Network+ I_NET+,CIW-ASSOCIATE

S+
mrfixit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 01:04:55 PM »

Personally, I did a job for an attorney that had 4 PC's he wanted on a wireless network. I charged him for parts and labor. Total ended up being around $2000.00. Out of that, after parts, I ended up pocketing around $1100.00 myself. Pretty sweet considering the whole project took me less than 10 hours. Cheesy (Couldn't do all the workstations at one time, as they needed access to their files.)

So, mine came out to be approx. $110.00 per hour. This was last year, so the details are a little vague to me, but I believe I charged him a flat rate at the time. I quoted the parts and labor for him, and it took him over a month to respond back. By then the cost of parts had gone up, and like an idiot, I hadn't put anything in my quote about "prices subject to change"! Oh well, I still made out okay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 01:08:55 PM by mrfixit » Logged

Keyboard not functioning. Press F1 to continue....

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator.

If a trainstation is where the train stops, what's a workstation...?
ace123
We Miss you Michael
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 04:14:20 PM »

I ended up charging her $100.00 for the job for about three hours worth of work.She already had every thing hook up ok but needed help making it work.No file or print sharing. all she wanted was all three pc to be able to get on the net.

A+ Network+ I_NET+,CIW-ASSOCIATE

S+
ANDRONDA
Video Network Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 04:32:25 PM »

I charge 95 per travel hour (2 hour max) and 130 per on-site hour.
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 08:17:10 PM »

Get everything work is the KEY (most valuable work)  

U can charge a little more, but u know always exception Smiley

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
mrfixit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 11:58:16 AM »

Originally posted by ace123
I ended up charging her $100.00 for the job for about three hours worth of work.She already had every thing hook up ok but needed help making it work.No file or print sharing. all she wanted was all three pc to be able to get on the net.

Man! You work cheap! That comes out to approx. $33.00 per hour. Heck, I charge a $10.00 trip charge, per trip, and a minimum of $50.00 labor per hour, depending on the job. If I know it's only going to take me a couple of hours, then it's $60.00 p/h. I've learned one thing, especially when dealing with high-end clients, if you charge too little, they may feel that you don't know what you're doing. Then again, if your rates are too high, they will shop around for another technician. Better to be middle of the road. What I did was check the rates of my competition, and kind of averaged it out. Of course, what you charge is going to depend on the going rate in your area.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

JonL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 01:11:51 PM »

I also work a little cheap, I charge $50.00 per hour with 1hr min. If the job is a long distance I kick the rate up a little. I charge $40.00 per hr for bench work brought to me. If a job goes too smooth, and sometimes it does, we work a little slower as not to kill the job. I also make a small profit on equipment, able to buy wholesale and sell at retail Smiley
Face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 01:33:29 PM »

My question though, is where do you continue to find more and more clients?  Consulting I think is definitely the wave of the future in IT.  Full time IT jobs are not going to be out there as much.  Companies are out sourcing their IT tasks more and more.  Yes the "Job" market is bad right now but, private consulting is just that, "private", your free to find work on your own but creating a client base is the tough part.  What are some good ways of getting the word out?

YESICAN
mrfixit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 02:56:26 PM »

Originally posted by Face
My question though, is where do you continue to find more and more clients?  Consulting I think is definitely the wave of the future in IT.  Full time IT jobs are not going to be out there as much.  Companies are out sourcing their IT tasks more and more.  Yes the "Job" market is bad right now but, private consulting is just that, "private", your free to find work on your own but creating a client base is the tough part.  What are some good ways of getting the word out?

First off, it is really tough to break into a "private consultant" job, or, your own business. A lot of my advertising is word of mouth, a client tells a friend, and so on. I also created my own flyer, with a "discount" service on it,(10% off hard drive install), and distribute it around to places like car washes, grocery stores, etc. If you have the budget, run a small ad in a local newspaper. We have two major newspapers in my area, but there a several small town/local papers. Their advertising is much less costly than the two major ones. (About a 1/3 of the cost!) My current client base fluxuates, at times I may have 20 clients, and then it may drop to 10 or 15. It really isn't that steady, and I couldn't live on the current income derived from this business. I had planned to make it full-time, but theres the rub, trying to establish a "permanent" client base.

Wish you all the success in the world, hope you make it.

JonL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 10:13:16 PM »

I recieve a good deal of work through contacts at work. Being the IT Director I always have a lot of people asking about their home stuff. Some of the vendors and customers we have know me, and I do work for their business. I have a associate that has a PC tutoring business, really simple stuff, and he does well. You do need to advertise, web site, local paper, flyers, business cards. Also network with freinds, faimly, and relatives, the more people that know you do this will help bring in more work. I also try to offer as many services as I feel qualified for, if I get a project I can not handle, I have associates that can who can help me out. I wish I could live off this, but, I get tired of mac and cheese very quick.

Good Luck:)

And don't be afraid to charge because someone else will!!
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 10:38:48 PM »

Lets see...

3 wireless NIC's:   $180.00
1 Wireless Router:  $125.00
Labor @ $85.00/hr   $170.00

that would include the drive, setup,install of the NIC's, Filesharing and printersharing.

Total: = $ 475.00

Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: