pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 05:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  What A+ class should look like
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What A+ class should look like  (Read 2415 times)
Crowesgirl

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2003, 02:09:50 AM »

I have a friend who has recently begun pursuing a two year degree in IT.  He has just finished his A+ class.  There was no "hands on" lab work or training.  Is this common?  We remember the director of the program, when giving us the tour of the facility, saying "this is our A+ lab...you'll get lab time in addition to lecture".  Well, this class has been entirely lecture.  He chose this program over the "boot camps" as we keep reading the degree is good to have.  Now he is wondering whether this program is designed well.  Any opinions/advice?  

Thanks for your help!
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 12:22:19 PM »

definately not good, he needs to talk to the IT department head.  The head may not know 'no-hands-on' is happeneing.  But he did right going with a degree and certs at same time.  tell him if nothing else, use their equipment for his own hands on.
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 04:14:37 PM »

Yes, he should definitely talk to someone about the hands-on thing.  Hands-on practice is the best study and learning method.  Without it, he will have no practical knowledge of the things he's learning about.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
oddduck

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 03:54:25 PM »

When I took my A+ class at college, every student had their own bench with a couple computers on it (nothing to special, just like a p1 and a p2 or 3).  Only complant I had was the lack of screwdrivers/wrist straps for everyone in the class.  I just didn't like walking around to see had a free screwdriver/wrist strap.  Usually the instructors are pretty flexable, I brought in my laptop one day and had some supervision when I resoldered a component on the mobo etc.  We typically had an equal amount of lecture time as lab time, unless we were doing some kind of group project.
racerdeb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 10:44:54 PM »

I'm in the middle of my A+ Class.  We have a decent balance of lectures and labs.  I don't ever have enough time to do all the labs in class.  We have reached a point where the next test is made up of 5 chapters of Labs and I don't have XP OS at home to practice with.  I am pretty nervous about it, since I haven't had but 2 hours on the lab systems with the XP OS.  Anyone have any websites or links to A+ material, notes, and help with individual A+ course material, chapter by chapter?
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 01:13:57 PM »

Basic requirement for all PC technican class are: Study guide, tool box, and many parts of PC (CPU, MB, HD, Case, Power Supply).

The lab shall teach you how to build and disassemble the PC, install, upgrade, configurate, exchange parts and conduct inspection.

If your LAB is not hand-on,.. time to get refund!!!

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
WPFossil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 01:27:42 AM »

Labs and/or experience are a must. Otherwise you'll just have a paper cert.

Smiley

By the way, angels...  I once made enough money to support both me and my wife.  Now she has to work too.  I'm all for women's rights, but let's work together.

Where did my union go...  oh that's right...   corporate america will take care of us....

shit they're LAUGHING at us

oh well, guess I'll crawl back to my trailer park

Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: