pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 11:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  How to get girls interested in IT?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to get girls interested in IT?  (Read 2433 times)
JerryD

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2003, 01:51:34 PM »

Ladies of I.T. -

I was wondering if I could get some insight in attracting girls (say 9-12yrs old) to IT.  My daughter is 9 and she's helped with the brakes on my Jeep, learned what NOT to touch in the back of a TV, replaced a sink drain trap, and now I'd like her to explore PC's.  I know the motivation needs to come from her, but what games/products do you think would draw her in to it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!
mikop
Supa SUPA MAN!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 02:15:32 PM »

depends on what you wish her to learn.

personally, I would start them with development, the white collar type and have her explore the software side.

it doesn't have to be programming... but something lighter but would still instill the concept... html, web programming with light scripting codes. imaging, phostoshop, macromedia flash.

the thing with those is that you see near immediate feedback, of creation... something she can take to her friends and have them all go gaga over it.

as far as hardware, installation, that's too low level... and I would be concern about her scrapping her knuckles and getting cuts... don't want scars.

with html, you may direct her to other interest such as web server, dns, explain to her how the thing she created are distrubuted on the internet. (sys admin stuff here), or you can take the opportunity to talk to her about the internet, networking, internetworking (network eng stuff).

if she is interested in the creative aspect of web site creation, then talk to her about geting graphic artist, CAD, 3d animation etc.... like... look at NEMO!, lets do something like that.

if she is more interested in code development, get her into hardcore programmoing, java, c++, computer sceience degree, math all that stuff.

When I started, computer is geek stuff. but in college while as a biology major, my friends and I wanted to play a computer game online and that begun my interest in this silly tcp/ip things. with her being as young as she is, explore her to a vast number of things, things that would be fun for her and you to do together. like involve her in making a family photo album on her and gradually maybe have her handle a weekly news update on it for grandma and grandpa to see.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand."
                              --- Einstein
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 02:18:14 PM »

my 16 yo has no interest in computers, my 12 yo does her own web pages and we are learning CEH right now.  I have NOT taught her networking yet as otherwise, how would I restrict her privilages...lol.   It started out with gaming, and went to neopets.com and her wanting to learn HTLM.  I have cut her loose and anything she asks to know, tell her, with the networking exception.   Do you have a network?   play some LAN games to get her into computers   Smiley
JerryD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 02:23:18 PM »

Originally posted by mikop
as far as hardware, installation, that's too low level... and I would be concern about her scrapping her knuckles and getting cuts... don't want scars.

... you haven't met my daughter!
Cheesy

I like your idea of graphical feedback, especially in light of her age.  Maybe just some web breation using easy WYSIWYG to get started...

rsaffle - you mentioned some LAN gaming.  Any ideas on what girls prefer?  My net is going back up this weekend after being down for about a year (that is IF I finish the trim work in the basement!)
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 05:42:58 PM »

she first started out with Final Fantasy games by herself and got into Counterstrike with me and my BF....lol.   I think being a little girl, anything you want to spend time playing with her, she will love.   Does she play any games (PC, GC, XBox, PS) now?

Photoshop and Paint are fun for them to start out playing with.
JerryD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 04:42:51 PM »

She does her GBA, and some PC games, but maybe a LAN party might be fun.  Showing her what needs to be done without any expectation of her.  Hmmm.  Thanks for the tips.  I'm just trying to get her exposed to as many different things so she doesn't feel restricted.  One area she has taken a bit of an interest in is alternative process photography, but that gets messy.  Digital may be the way to go, but I'm a bit of a snob in that respect.:cool:

Thanks again.

Jerry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: