pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:30:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  Dressing Appropriately
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dressing Appropriately  (Read 3541 times)
oddduck

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2003, 12:32:12 AM »

I'm just started out on my job search process, and I'm really having problems finding appropriate clothing to wear.  So far I've managed to find me a longer sport jacket with matching skirt/pants (they're really nice with pinstripes) and another pair of dress pants.  How formal do you really think I need to dress?  Is it appropriate to let your dress show a little bit about your personality, (like if I wore a bright colored blouse under my suit?).  I really know I can't dress the way I feel comfortable dressing now and still come off professional, (jeans and sweatshirts) but I don't want to be totally uncomfortable together.  Another thing I've noticed is that everywhere I go there's numerous mens business clothing stores and almost no stores carry any business selections for women.  Where do most of you go to find your business wear?  What kind of shoes are appropriate?  I know I should stay away from open-toed, but are open back slides totally a no-no?

Marianne
Boulware5
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 01:01:57 AM »

Got this from a recruiter web site:

What to wear to an Interview
For women:
- A straight-forward business suit is best
- Wear sensible pumps
- Be moderate with make-up and perfume
- Wear simple jewelry
- Hair and fingernails should be well-groomed

Doesn't go into much detail, but it's at least something I thought I could share.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Ben Franklin

http://www.stopfcc.com/
GalaxyGal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 11:34:06 AM »

I am in finance, so when I have a client to meet I go in a pantsuit.  Dark color with a light color blouse and low heel closed shoes with dark stockings.  Minimal or no makeup.  Small earrings, watch and one ring and one bracelet.

But when I am working on a project in the office but not visible to clients I usually have on slacks (always solids), a blouse (simple and never sleeveless) and slides.

Hope this helps.

GalaxyGal
Spid
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 07:34:28 PM »

Your primary goal in dressing for an interview is to feel great about the way you look while projecting an image that matches the requirements of the job and the company.

This is just a general statement towards anyone interviewing for a job:

- Don't make a fashion statement.  The interview is not the time to make a personal statement of nonconformity with society's concept of professional image.

In a word - Conservative.

Dark colors(Navy Blue, Black or Gray), Professional attire. White blouse.  Watch your skirt length, wear hose, and no open toe shoes.  Minimal jewlery (watch and small earrings. Ditch the thumbring if you wear one.)  Go easy on your makeup and wear just a little perfume. The person that is interviewing you may be allergic to it. (Doubtful, but you never know).

Remember, if you look good, you'll feel good, and that will only help in your job-search process.

Once you get the job, then you can relax a bit and shorten the skirt to show off your legs with a sharp pair of heels, etc... (Nothing wrong with that in my book Wink )

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll land a job in no time! Smiley

"I was planning to take over the world, but got distracted by something sparkly..."
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 08:50:16 PM »

Once you get the job, then you can relax a bit and shorten the skirt to show off your legs with a sharp pair of heels, etc... (Nothing wrong with that in my book Wink )

Haha, yeah, I can see me getting up under a desk to check connections in a skirt.

Best is if you know anyone that works there, check out what they work in and dress slightly above that.   But yes, be comfortable.
Spid
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 10:54:17 PM »

Originally posted by rsaffle
Haha, yeah, I can see me getting up under a desk to check connections in a skirt.  

Wink - I was just kidding.....

If the job more directed towards end user support in a corporate environment, hopefully "corporate casual" is the norm.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 10:58:40 PM by Spid » Logged

"I was planning to take over the world, but got distracted by something sparkly..."
mikop
Supa SUPA MAN!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 11:09:36 PM »

wear professionally for the HR interview, for technical interview, please wear short skirts with garter and revealing blouse... god knows your average tech interviewer hasn't seen some in a long while...

and yes... this is sexual harrassment, wonderful world of corporate sensitivity training ;/

pants, always pants, blouse never more intense than royal blue, pastel blue or pink would be nice. white is a bit too boring... even a guy speak wiht their ties so be a bit more than just white blouse with black/charcoal pant/suit.

pinstripe... way too powerful for guys... not too sure for woman... imo kind of iffy... quite powerful.

no red.

and listen to galaxy girl... female taking fashion advice from guys... there is something fundamentally wrong about that...

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand."
                              --- Einstein
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 12:50:06 PM »

Originally posted by mikop
for technical interview, please wear short skirts with garter and revealing blouse... god knows your average tech interviewer hasn't seen some in a long while...

We haven't. Not too many IT women. Wink

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 01:14:37 PM »

ahh, so the balance would be, feminine so he knows your a woman, yet business oriented so he knows you can do the job.   I agree....dark pantsuit with a girlie colored blouse.

on the job I wear t-shirt and jeans, tennis shoes, no makeup, hair long and down.  But I see no one but the other IT people.
fatchronos
?£ber Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 08:51:21 PM »

Originally posted by rsaffle
ahh, so the balance would be, feminine so he knows your a woman, yet business oriented so he knows you can do the job.   I agree....dark pantsuit with a girlie colored blouse.

on the job I wear t-shirt and jeans, tennis shoes, no makeup, hair long and down.  But I see no one but the other IT people.

damn... thats got to be the sexiest combination for me... especially the no makeup/hair down bit... if only more girls would realise that what they are given naturally is far better than artificial...
rsaffle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 05:45:48 PM »

Originally posted by fatchronos
damn... thats got to be the sexiest combination for me... especially the no makeup/hair down bit... if only more girls would realise that what they are given naturally is far better than artificial...

not sure if your being sarcastic or not, but I find it much easier at 6 AM  to find something to wear and get on the road this way.....lol.
xonkers
Banned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 04:17:30 AM »

Post edited by Paisleyskye.  Grow up Xonkers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 04:24:38 AM by Paisleyskye » Logged

no signature found
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: