pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 11:48:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Athlon64
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Athlon64  (Read 1514 times)
NetChild1985
RedHater

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2003, 04:16:30 PM »

Some interesting info about the new AMD CPU expected this september...

What is Hammer?
"Hammer" is AMD's codename for it's range of 64-bit CPU's featuring an extended x86 instruction set. It is manufactured in FAB30 in Dresden using a .13 micron process. There are two Hammer sub-groups: "Sledgehammer", which is sold under the name "Opteron" for servers and "Clawhammer", which is sold under the name "Athlon64" for desktop machines.

Will my old programs work with Hammer?
AMD made sure that the Hammer hardware has a 32-bit compatibility mode in which it runs 32 bit applications and operating systems just as fast or faster than the AthlonXP does at same clock speed (AMD claims up to 25% more performance at 32-bit).

What is the difference between an Opteron and an Athlon64?
The Opteron is the server class flavour of the Hammer using the 940 pin socket with a dual channel DDR memory controller. The Athlon64 is the desktop class flavour using the 754 pin socket with a single channel, 64-bit DDR memory controller. The Opteron can use both ECC registered DDR SD-Ram and standard DDR SD-Ram while the Athlon64 can only use standard DDR SD-Ram. The Opteron always has a 1MB L2 cache. The the Athlon64 will launch with 1MB L2 cache ("Clawhammer") and will be followed later by a low cost 256kb L2 cache "Paris" core. Both CPU's have a metal heatspreader to protect the core.

What benefit are the 64-bit's for my desktop machine?
The 64-bit alone currently do not give much benefit. The applications (OS, games, media-apps) need to actively embrace 64-bit enhancements before the benefit will show. Application like new generation games, "Photoshop" applications and 3d-renderers can make quick and easy alterations to the code to get benefits.

What other benefit's will the Athlon64 give me?
AMD not only introduced 64-bit processing but more importantly they refined and changed the AthlonXP architecture.
-The branch prediction is much more effective which speeds up program execution noticably.
-The DDR memory controller is integrated in the CPU which gets rid of the latency that is introduced by the traditional Northbridge design. It supports up to 4 DDR modules from DDR200 to DDR400 (Opteron supports Cool.
-I/O transfers to PCI and AGP are done via the 200MHz Hypertransport bus capable of 6.4GB/sec transfer rate.
-The SSE2 instruction set is now supported speeding up media encoding applications.
-All that results in up to 25% more performance in 32-bit applications (AMD).

What are the differences between my AthlonXP system and a new Athlon64 system?
The main difference is that there is no traditional Northbridge needed. The Athlon64 has its own 64-bit wide memory controller on chip. To interface to the rest of the system the Athlon64 uses AMD's "Hypertransport" bus which runs at 200MHz pumping 6.4GB/sec. Connected to that bus will be an AGPx8 bridge which in turn interfaces to the traditional Southbridges.
This means that throughout the different chipsets, the CPU and memory performance should be almost identical. Differences will be in AGP and I/O performance.
Also the Athlon64 uses a new cooling design with a heatspreader on top of the chip and a much stronger clip/screw design to press the heatsink onto the CPU.

Are there any chipsets out there?
SIS has it's SIS755 and 760 (integrated video), Via is ready with the K8T400 and K8M400 (integrated video), NVidia has its CrushK8, CrushK8G (integrated video) and CrushNG (which connects to the existing MCP's), ATI will try to get a foothold with the RX380 and RS380 (integrated Radeon) and Ali tries to come back with the Ml687 and Ml688 (integrated video).
So there is plenty to choose from...

What can I re-use from my old system switching to the Athlon64?
Most likely DDR-memory, AGP card, PSU, case, drives and peripherals. Mainboard, CPU and CPU-heatsink (unless there are adapter solutions) need to be replaced.

Overclocking?
The traditional "FSB" is no more. In order to overclock, there are three choices:
-Increase the clock of the Hypertransport bus (That will influence CPU core speed as well as DDR memory speed). Most BIOS will still refer to this as "FSB". The CPU speed results as Multiplier x HT clock rate.
-Change the CPU multiplier (The early Athlon64 samples came unlocked. Due to the heatspreader on the CPU, the old game of closing and opening bridges will be history unless someone forces that heat spreader off and finds the bridges underneath...).
-Run the memory at different memory divisor settings. The memory controller inside the CPU will get its clock rate from the CPU speed divided by a memory divisor. This can be anywhere from 9 to 13 (range maybe be even bigger). If the CPU runs at 2400MHz and the memory divider is set to 12, the memory will run at 200MHz (PC3200).

Using a digital nervous system
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 06:01:55 PM »

Thanks for that  25 percent! Thats what I'm talking about.
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 08:36:56 PM »

Can't wait for the "HAMMER"...made in Dresden,Germany? Wow, that's new to me.
When to buy and how much?
:cool:

azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 02:32:07 AM »

Originally posted by Deja-vue
Can't wait for the "HAMMER"...made in Dresden,Germany? Wow, that's new to me.
When to buy and how much?
:cool:

Yes Dresden is AMD's primary plant, their star where new work is done, at least until the IBM colaboration does something useful.

Edit: pictures of Fabrication plant 30

http://www.amdboard.com/amdfab30.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 02:36:50 AM by azimuth40 » Logged
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 02:40:40 AM »

Oh Deja you have been a webmaster and native German speaker. You should get a kick out of this.  slick site.  Take the virtual tour at

http://www.amd-jobs.de/
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 02:48:43 AM »

loved it!
Everything they built in the former East-germany is now State-of-the-Art.
Easy to do when you can just caterpillar everything---and start over----everything new!

But: Very expensive

You should see the new Volkswagen-Factory, they built over there... all Glass-Buildings ...but lets stay on the Topic!

Thanks for the link...i enjoyed the Tour!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: