pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Son of Mobo Poll
Poll
Question:
Aopen - 3 (14.3%)
Chaintech - 0 (0%)
DFI - 0 (0%)
Epox - 2 (9.5%)
FIC - 1 (4.8%)
Gigabyte - 7 (33.3%)
Microstar - 1 (4.8%)
Soyo - 7 (33.3%)
Total Voters:

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Son of Mobo Poll  (Read 2395 times)
WPFossil

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2003, 05:30:30 PM »

Listing some of the others that didn't make it on the first poll.  Still keeping Intel off, since I think they'd win out easily.

Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 06:54:44 PM »

I voted for Soyo, ( got 4 machines here using that Board)but was very impressed with the DFI-Board.
Very stable, good performing Board with on-board Raid and all bells...
To my knowledge, a former Co-Owner of Gigabyte opened this new Company and is selling under "DFI".
Someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Smiley

azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 10:36:20 PM »

I don't know.  I do know that ex-gigabyte and aopen employee/s created Albatron a year or so ago and they are getting rave reviews from the benchmark sites and a few people that I know that have bought them.  Pretty boards just like DFI so maybe gigabyte had a layoff or small brain trust loss.
tohrt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 12:32:25 PM »

Originally posted by WPFossil
Listing some of the others that didn't make it on the first poll.  Still keeping Intel off, since I think they'd win out easily.

Boy do I disagree with that statement.

The last decent board they made was the 440 for PII's.

Since then they have suffered many problems with chipsets & compatability issues.

Cost / Performance / Compatability & Stability

On the above there are so many other motherboards that eclipse Chipzillas offerings in every catagory for desktops, and they haven't been at the top of the foodchain in servers for a few years now.

If you like Intel motherboards, good, more power to you.

I'm just not impressed with what they currently have out.
I would not purchase one myself & I don't know of anyone that I work with that disagrees with me here either.

I "currently" don't see the value in an Intel board.

Deja-vue
[To my knowledge, a former Co-Owner of Gigabyte opened this new Company and is selling under "DFI".]
DFI is currently the fifth largest motherboard manufacturer world wide & has been around for quite some time. "If" what your saying is true,[I have no idea as to if it is or isn't] that had to of happened sometime in the mid 90's.

As far as the Albatron boards go, I've heard of them & they are selling quite well. But most of the supliers I use have them on back order. I was going to put together another test box & was going to use that board based on the reviews. I can't get one. I also can't find out anything about the parent company.
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 05:58:34 PM »

Originally posted by tohrt
As far as the Albatron boards go, I've heard of them & they are selling quite well. But most of the supliers I use have them on back order. I was going to put together another test box & was going to use that board based on the reviews. I can't get one. I also can't find out anything about the parent company.

In California Fry's stocks them.  You can get the springdale version same day shipping from their Outpost.com site.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3668425
Their AMD one does not seem to be listed online.

For those who have not heard of albatron yet here is their english website.
http://www.albatron.com.tw
For the P4 they claim to have a FSB that goes to 1.2GHz and for AMD they have a dual channel DDR 400 based on the nVIDIA chipset.  They also make Gforce cards.
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »

Had a couple friends that had bad luck with Albatron boards, both with motherboards and with graphics cards. Most likely the issue was due to bad lots, something all of the manufacturers have, however the lack of success with people whose judgement I trust keeps me away from them.

The last AOpen board I purchased, I am still using, an AX6BC (440BX2), a solid board back when it was new, running a Celeron 366@550 with a TNT2 Ultra, now running a Celeron 900 and a GF4 Ti4200 with no issues.

Soyo used to be a great name in motherboards, but they developed a disturbing trend of going in cycles, good board model, bad board model.

Heard good things about MSI and Gigabyte but never used them.

I have a Chaintech that I was given. It works and has survived a short in the cheap power supply that it was connected to, that zapped the BIOS and forced a reload of firmware. Performance wise, I am not overly impressed with it and the support for it is hard to get, but that is what Internet search skills are for, right?

Intel is a decent board, just don't expect it to be a great gaming motherboard or an overclocker.

Asus is a lot like Soyo, in that they are cyclic on the good boards and bad boards. I've had good results with them in the past and they'd be my recommended pick if given the option.

My experience with Abit tells me to stay away. I've had a number of boards that died too soon under small loads or were DoA and RMAing is never fun.

Cheers,
TB
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 06:41:20 PM by Tarzanboy » Logged
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 08:02:11 PM »

Death to Soyo. Why are they winning dammit?

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
tohrt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 08:43:44 PM »

Originally posted by azimuth40
In California Fry's stocks them.  You can get the springdale version same day shipping from their Outpost.com site.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3668425
Their AMD one does not seem to be listed online.

For those who have not heard of albatron yet here is their english website.
http://www.albatron.com.tw
For the P4 they claim to have a FSB that goes to 1.2GHz and for AMD they have a dual channel DDR 400 based on the nVIDIA chipset.  They also make Gforce cards.

Thanks for the info.
But I'm not in California & I've never heard of Fry's.

The keywords were [the supliers I use ]

I was just trying to make a point that they were currently a low or no stock in quite a few warehouses.
Of 8 sources, 7 have them on back order.
Smiley
azimuth40

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2003, 10:08:49 PM »

I know that you are not in California, you are in Idaho right.  Some of my early youth was spent in the Nampa/Caldwell area. I also understood the your supplier statement.  I thought that you were looking for one in the immediate future for your use as indicated by your testbox statement.  

I buy lots of things mail order when local suppliers don't have them or have them at a competitive price therefore I don't think twice about recommending that route.
oddduck

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 01:38:46 AM »

MEH! and again soltek is forgotten, I dunno I'm a big fan of my soltek sl-75mrn, it had a few glitches in the beginning (to find compatable ram.. ahh the great quest), but once I got it up and running, I've never looked back.  I've been recommending this MOBO to everyone I know.  The Nforce2 chipset is great Smiley
tohrt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 01:49:56 AM »

Cool - thanks for the info.

I purchase everything by telephone or internet order. Buying locally costs 40% to 125% more. If I'm in that much of a hurry for whatever, I just overnight freight it. That is still extremely cheeper than purchasing locally.

Yep - I'm in the Nampa area.

Not putting "Fry's" down, because I've never heard of them or dealt with them myself, but I've had bad experiences dealing with several of these discount warehouses. Their Service Dept. is an oxymoron quite often.

I find a small group or wholesalers that I receive very good service from & stick with them, even if they are out of stock of the latest trick of the week quite often. I have fewer headaches that way.

ruscorp & Soyo
I've never had a problem with a Soyo board. They weren't the trick of the week as far as options & performance goes, but they were stable & trouble free. That's more than I can say for quite a few listed on the poll.

Tarzanboy
Someone is going to have troubles with everything out there. It's a computer - a man made object with far too many variables to consider
gauji
Confuzed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 12:18:28 PM »

that??s more like it
Smiley

Dazed & Confuzed
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: