pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Not detecting cd-rom, dvd or zip drive
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Not detecting cd-rom, dvd or zip drive  (Read 3850 times)
DaDnDe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2003, 12:22:57 AM »

Originally posted by valmon
Thanks to all who have replied.  I think I offered a challenge at least!

I am in the process of uploading the files I want to save to a virtual hard disk, in the likely chance I will lose everything on my hard drive.  This seems to take forever (I was very lax in saving files to the zip...).

TB, I did do what you suggested earlier in the program, with no success.  Yes, I think the bios is very screwed up:(

However, while downloading files, I came across the manual for my computer and lo and behold I found the specs!!!  Hurray for SOME good news.  At the very least I should be able to find the original bios setup now.  

I do have a question - once I flash the bios, if my CD-ROM, DVD, etc. still don't work......if I disconnect the CD-rom and make the DVD the master, do you think this might help?  Remember I am just a level above beginner here, but I wondered if the CD-ROM has quit, would that stop the DVD from also being recognized, as it is the slave?  As to the zip.....Once I flash the bios I will download the zip drive, again and hope for the best.  If the zip is out, then I will buy another, but only if I can at least get the DVD to work.  If none of these work, I gather the motherboard might be on its last leg and a new computer is a good excuse!!

Thanks for all of your help, you are PC angels:D

Linda N

i've seen similiar situations and the problems always boil down to these

Bad Cable...just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean a thing...

Bad drive....CD-ROMS especially have a tendanacy to die

Bad BIOS settings (very rare, but for u ...could be...)

Make sure that both IDE channels are enabled in the BIOS.. Both the DVD and CD-ROM will most likely be on the Secondary IDE channel. Only newer BIOSes will detect a CD-ROM or DVD... The reason y is that neither are true EIDE devices they use the ATAPI standard which is basically jerry-rigged to work on the IDE channel.

now before buying anything see if u can try the non working devices in another computer or try switching cables or take turns putting the CD-ROM and DVD as slave on the Master IDE channel with your hard drive.(just make sure the Hard drive is set to master or if u have new 80 pin cabling that drive select is chosen and position on the cable is correct(these cables will label the connectors as master and slave and if cable select is used than it must be used on both drives!)

other than that nothing else will cause your drive to not read short of MB failure...

setting the OS to plug n play doesnt matter because windows will turn on the switch if it isn't enabled in BIOS

Another thing that possibly might do it is loose Molex (power) connectors. I have seen this problem cause just about every problem u can think of all at the same time!~

"Nuchi du takara"
"Life is a treasure"

http://www.besttests.com
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: