pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 06:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Not detecting cd-rom, dvd or zip drive
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Not detecting cd-rom, dvd or zip drive  (Read 3854 times)
valmon

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:31:40 PM »

Hi all!  I wandered in here during a search and came upon a similar thread.  Sounds like you all know what you are doing, so I joined and hope you can help.  This is a challenge I guess, as none of the other computer Gods I know has been able to solve my problem.

My husband 'helped' me by putting in a new battery - unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to jot down the bios settings first.  Since then, it has been all downhill (although the clock keeps time now, LOL).  The above-mentioned hardware no longer is detected.  Nada, zilch.  Nothing in device manager.  Upon advice from another group, I deleted the devices appearing safe mode.  I don't have the startup floppy that came with my computer, either.  I was able to fix my video setup by downloading a driver.  Yay for me.
I am running windows me.  I checked to make sure all the cables were tight and in place.  The cd-rom is the master and dvd the slave.  The zip drive is external.  If I could at the very least get my zip going, I have rescue disks.  
I've tried downloading drivers for my cd-rom (Samsung SC-148) but nothing has worked.
I hope someone can help me - think of it as a class project!!!!

Linda
prezbedard
M is for MEMBER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 11:27:17 PM »

First off you can get zip drivers from here http://www.iomega.com/software/index.html

When you say that the cd rom and dvd are not detected is that in the bios or within windows? Make sure the jumpers are set properly.

Do you have a love/hate relationship with computers? Do you yell at your computer and expect it to answer?

TECHNOLOGY no place for wimps!!

BOSTON Red Sox World Series Champions 2007 Smiley

Bedardinc.com
SalemCyberSpace.org
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 12:19:19 AM »

you mentioned it all started when you replaced the C-MOS Battery.
So this is where you should begin:

Go back in the BIOS,make sure, all Drives are detected.
Then, boot up to Windows, add Hardware manually.
Repair the OS, if you need.
Better yet, back up some important files ( in SAfe-mode) and dump ME alltogether and install Win2000Pro or XP Pro.
I have never heard that replacing the C-MOS Battery will jack up all your Drivers, including the Video-Drivers.
But then, you are running Windows ME.
Anything goes.
Time now to upgrade the OS.
just my 2 cents.
Best of Luck to you!

DaDnDe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 12:32:10 AM »

Originally posted by valmon
Hi all!  I wandered in here during a search and came upon a similar thread.  Sounds like you all know what you are doing, so I joined and hope you can help.  This is a challenge I guess, as none of the other computer Gods I know has been able to solve my problem.

My husband 'helped' me by putting in a new battery - unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to jot down the bios settings first.  Since then, it has been all downhill (although the clock keeps time now, LOL).  The above-mentioned hardware no longer is detected.  Nada, zilch.  Nothing in device manager.  Upon advice from another group, I deleted the devices appearing safe mode.  I don't have the startup floppy that came with my computer, either.  I was able to fix my video setup by downloading a driver.  Yay for me.
I am running windows me.  I checked to make sure all the cables were tight and in place.  The cd-rom is the master and dvd the slave.  The zip drive is external.  If I could at the very least get my zip going, I have rescue disks.  
I've tried downloading drivers for my cd-rom (Samsung SC-148) but nothing has worked.
I hope someone can help me - think of it as a class project!!!!

Linda

ummm BIOS reset eh...
I will assume that when u say these items are not detected that it means not in BIOS or Windows...
Boot up your machine and hit the pause/break key to halt the bootup process when u get to the system configuration screen.

here u can look to see if these items are detected...if u see them here  and not in windows then try going into the BIOS and look for a setting usually found on same page as the page that has option of setting operating system as plug and play aware...
there should be a switch that resets the hardware configuration and forces the BIOS to redetect the hardware.
That might do it. Other than that, if the drives are only not found in windows, have u tried find hardware in control panel or rolling back your system with scanreg?

other than that it seems strange to me that everything that is not detected is most likely all connected to the secondary IDE port, so is the port still enabled?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:35:45 AM by DaDnDe » Logged

"Nuchi du takara"
"Life is a treasure"

http://www.besttests.com
fatchronos
?£ber Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 01:59:38 AM »

Originally posted by Deja-vue
But then, you are running Windows ME.
Anything goes.

I agree! Go for win2k or XP, ME was outdated 5 years before it was release, and more buggy than the original release of windows 95 Smiley (IMO)
Kasor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 10:33:43 PM »

yeah... Try to upgrade it.

If it still don't detect. Replace it with other CD-ROM and check the CD-ROM work on other PC.

In the worst case, replace the CD-ROM.

Kill All Suffer 2 Reborn
BTomko

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 04:53:00 PM »

If I remember correctly when I had an ME experience, there is a way to restore your system to an earlier state.  I believe that ME backs up the system and drivers(no personal files though) when you shut off the system.  I could be wrong.  This was built in ME because it is to be considered for home users instead of businesses.  So check under start>accessories>system tools>system restore. Best of luck to you. Please let us know what happens.

"I'm ready, I'm ready"
DaDnDe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 09:28:45 PM »

Originally posted by BTomko
If I remember correctly when I had an ME experience, there is a way to restore your system to an earlier state.  I believe that ME backs up the system and drivers(no personal files though) when you shut off the system.  I could be wrong.  This was built in ME because it is to be considered for home users instead of businesses.  So check under start>accessories>system tools>system restore. Best of luck to you. Please let us know what happens.

actually I think what u are thinking of is scanreg. this program must be run from DOS and has the ability to roll back the registry to a previous good start up...
There is usually 5 choices and they go back usually only 5 days or so..so this option must be implemented quickly to be effective in most situations

"Nuchi du takara"
"Life is a treasure"

http://www.besttests.com
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2003, 06:10:16 PM »

Wow, it sounds like the BIOS settings got jacked and some of you recommend an OS upgrade?

First off, check your BIOS to make sure that the IDE, Diskette and whatever your ZIP250 is on (Parallel Port, USB or Serial Port) listed as Enabled or On. Then make sure that your secondary IDE is recognizing that it has ATAPI/CD-ROM/DVD-ROM devices attached and that the system recognizes Diskette Drive 0. In addition, if your BIOS has an option to specify a PnP OS, make sure that it is enable/on.

Should those be correct and it still does not allow access to your ZIP250, try the following:

1. Shut down the system
2. Disconnect the ZIP250 from the computer.
3. Restart the computer and let it get into Windows.
4. Shut down the computer
5. Reconnect the ZIP250 and restart.
6. See if it detects in Device Mangler.

Cheers,
TB
valmon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 06:31:39 PM »

Thanks to all who have replied.  I think I offered a challenge at least!

I am in the process of uploading the files I want to save to a virtual hard disk, in the likely chance I will lose everything on my hard drive.  This seems to take forever (I was very lax in saving files to the zip...).

TB, I did do what you suggested earlier in the program, with no success.  Yes, I think the bios is very screwed up:(

However, while downloading files, I came across the manual for my computer and lo and behold I found the specs!!!  Hurray for SOME good news.  At the very least I should be able to find the original bios setup now.  

I do have a question - once I flash the bios, if my CD-ROM, DVD, etc. still don't work......if I disconnect the CD-rom and make the DVD the master, do you think this might help?  Remember I am just a level above beginner here, but I wondered if the CD-ROM has quit, would that stop the DVD from also being recognized, as it is the slave?  As to the zip.....Once I flash the bios I will download the zip drive, again and hope for the best.  If the zip is out, then I will buy another, but only if I can at least get the DVD to work.  If none of these work, I gather the motherboard might be on its last leg and a new computer is a good excuse!!

Thanks for all of your help, you are PC angels:D

Linda N
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 06:49:21 PM »

Yes, IDE would stop working on a channel if there are any of the following: a bad device on the cable, a bad cable or the IDE controller is bad.

You can try placing the DVD on the Hard Drive's cable to test that theory. If the Hard Drive is not recognized, then the issue might be with the DVD-ROM.

You can also swap cables between the primary and secondary IDE as well as swapping the DVD from secondary to master on the secondary IDE channel.

Cheers,
TB
ruscorp
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 08:10:31 PM »

I see a lot of BIOS's now a days that are able to boot from zip. Have you set the BIOS to auto-detect instead of manuel? Try checking/replacing cables. Get rid of ME, go for 2000/XP.

- -- Anti Dublin Crew -- -
thecomeons
infrequent visitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 08:24:38 AM »

because the battery was removed, it sounds to me, like many before have said, to be something in the cmos. but the question remains, ide is normally set to auto in the cmos, so if a drive is not manually configured/stated the mobo will just detect it.

swap the ide cables about, as mentioned before. if that doesn't do anything, you may need to the cd and dvd as slaves on the same channel as the hdd that's detected to rule out faulty drives.

your bios should be okay. if anything is damaged, perhaps the mobo was scratched if you used a driver to help remove the battery Sad

i couldn't get it up until i visited examnotes.net
ri1ck

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 09:49:26 AM »

are the Master/slave setting for the cdrom and dvd that you set is cable select(CS).please check the ide devices jumper setting.
by default,if you replace a cmos battery,the default/manufacture setting is loaded.your computer will auto detects the pm,ps,sm&ss devices.please check whether all the devices are detected at the boot-up stage!if not detected,it's confirm that it is your ide cable-devices connection problem.if the devices are detected during bootup process,unplug the ide cable connected to the cdrom and dvd. then reconnect one device first,then bootin windows to check.
you also can change the dvd to master setting and the cdrom to slave.
for the zip drive,please check whether the usb port has been disable inside the bios setting.
hope this can help.

rgds,
rick
gauji
Confuzed

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 12:14:52 PM »

If you got nothing in device manager
you need to install PNP manually
but in case of Win me you need to first
boot up youre computer in save mode and look at device manager there, most likely you got double of everything there so you need to remove most of it, but go about it cerfully because ME isn??t verry forgiven so only remove from one catagory at a time then reboot.
Smiley Smiley Smiley

Dazed & Confuzed
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: