pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 11:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  IT career women
| | |-+  IT Career Women
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: IT Career Women  (Read 11133 times)
groovergirl

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2003, 12:54:23 PM »

3 years ago I decided to go back to computers which I had taken as an A level nearly 10 years previoulsy and then done nothing about!  I paid ?3000 to do the full MCSE course and I have now done 8 MCP's and am working on the 9th (Exchange 2000 - easily the hardest so far!). I got a job in a call centre and now, less than 2 years later I am working for a company and am senior team member doing 3rd level network support with 3 other members in the team - all men!!!!
Women rule in IT!
Gundyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:01:48 AM »

Take it easy...

U won this time, OK Smiley

IT POWER
DivxGuy
Ex-Microsoftee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 05:31:47 AM »

After you've done the SQL Server ones, then come back and brag. :p
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 06:54:24 PM »

Congratulations, you've done very well.  Good luck with your Exchange exam.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
xonkers
Banned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 04:13:49 AM »

Braindump and copyrighted material removed by Paisleyskye!

no signature found
serpico

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 02:55:15 AM »

Ignore the jealous.

Congratulations.
tech274

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 04:18:28 PM »

I would be happy for you , except for that last line.( Women rule in IT)(whatever that means).

In that same 3 year period,I have only been able to get temp jobs,and have been able to view "The Women that Rule in IT",in a variety of settings.Here are a few:

"Do you know where the installation CD is for File Manager?" - Female Sys Admin for all of Detroit and part of Canada.

"What is Active Directory?" (She really did not know)During an interview with the head of IT(female), on discussion of her NT servers and their upgrade.

"You don't need a Bachelors degree, I had no experience and no education,I just told them I could do the job and they hired me.I don't even like IT" -  Female DNS Admin telling me I don't need to finish my Bachelors to get a job in IT.

"How do you add a user in AD?" (I showed her)
-Female NW Admin that could not add a user account

"He starts talking to me about packets and stuff,I don't know what he is talking about,I just want it fixed" - Female head of Tech support for major bank on a guy trying to explain why her routers got flooded and half her NW went down.

So I do get ticked off, when I hear "Women Rule etc", then I see women making good money , while I'm a temp,making less, and having to take another job, and yet I am more qualified than some of these women.

It appears my father was wrong, when he said to work and study hard,all he had to do is name me Jane!

John
nethead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 04:39:34 AM »

I think there is a certain element of Luck  - being in the right place at the right time.

Also it comes down to how you sell yourself - some people are much better than others, whilst some people are prepared to tell "little white lies" in order to get the job they really want and worry about doing the job when they actually have it. I don't condone this but it's what some people do unfortunately.

Braindumps? No thanks.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX member
Bingram

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 10:26:51 PM »

Originally posted by tech274

In that same 3 year period,I have only been able to get temp jobs,and have been able to view "The Women that Rule in IT",in a variety of settings.Here are a few:

Many women out there have earned their position and know what they are doing.  OTOH there are some that seemed to have gotten their positions based on dress size and hair color.  Probably just as many women in that catagory as there are men who inflated resumes or got their position because of who "daddy" knows.

To be fair, gender is not an issue when guaging competency.  I've made a career of cleaning up lousy, mis-configured networks for customers who are at wits end.  Just as many were done by males as females.
TJLeeland

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 07:30:06 PM »

Originally posted by Bingram
To be fair, gender is not an issue when guaging competency.  

Boy, I hate to be saying this, but I really think I've run into more clueless women in IT than men. As a percentage it's much higher since there are so few women in IT as it is.

The only time I ever ran into an MCSE that couldn't install Windows NT 4.0, or do some other equally basic task, it's been a woman.

Sorry, but that's just been my experience. I don't know if it's an issue of quotas or what, but it does seem to only happen with the girls.

At the same time, that's not to say I don't know some very, very talented women. Some of the best techs I've worked with have been women. Many of the techs with the best work ethic have been women, that's for sure. I worked with one in my last job that was very dedicated to security - so much so that we ended up going to Defcon together; she paid her own way from NY while the company paid mine from SF.

Don't be afraid of paper certs. Sure, they may get an interview - but if you can't prove to an employer that you know more than some pretender you have a lot more than paper certs to worry about!
Paisleyskye
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 10:12:48 PM »

Well, I've met a lot of clueless men in IT, and have had to have them stand back and get the heck out of my way while I did the work.

I'm not man bashing - but I wouldn't consider the ratio of clueless women to be any higher than that of clueless men.

I think the ratio of cluenesses is probably 50/50.

Oh, and I've met men who couldn't install Windows, upgrade RAM or replace a hard drive too.

Peace Out!
Paisleyskye
mikop
Supa SUPA MAN!

View Profile
NT
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 10:48:42 PM »

nt
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 10:57:06 PM by mikop » Logged

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand."
                              --- Einstein
DivxGuy
Ex-Microsoftee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 12:39:55 AM »

How the heck does someone get to be an MCSE without knowing how to install NT4?!
TJLeeland

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 04:40:42 PM »

Originally posted by DivxGuy
How the heck does someone get to be an MCSE without knowing how to install NT4?!

Paper Cert back in 1998 or 99.

Don't be afraid of paper certs. Sure, they may get an interview - but if you can't prove to an employer that you know more than some pretender you have a lot more than paper certs to worry about!
TJLeeland

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 04:42:04 PM »

Originally posted by Paisleyskye
Oh, and I've met men who couldn't install Windows, upgrade RAM or replace a hard drive too.

I wasn't intending to bash women, it's just been my personal experience. But like I've said, I've worked with some highly skilled ones as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: