pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 05:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-081 Exchange 5.5
| | | |-+  Which Sybex book should I get for Exchange 5.5 test??
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Which Sybex book should I get for Exchange 5.5 test??  (Read 2303 times)
AnalogKid

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2000, 09:14:00 PM »

I wasn't going to buy anymore books but I really wan't to pass this test the first time and I am hearing that Sybex is the best, but which one??  On the Sybex website they list 3 books for EX 5.5. http://www.sybex.com/catalog/certification/mcse.shtml   I guess $20 more won't kill me if it saves me from the frustration of failing.   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
courvoisser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2000, 01:00:00 AM »

AnalogKid,

Hey You're right, all roads lead to Sybex book. It's the StudyGuide 3rd edition. The other 2 are test books. I'm ready for the challenge. Do you have a test network to practice on?
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »

Hi guys,

And what a challenge it shall be!!!! Well, I'm not yet 100% but I think that I am leaning towards Exchange, may the powers above help me....

I'm still evaluating, but at least locally here most people are saying go that route...
Boy, this is where I could use an Evelyn Wood speed reading refresher course to cover that book in less than 12 months!!!! I'm not exactly a speed demon when it comes to reading technical stuff!

I saw one post somewhere today that said don't even attempt this one if you have not had previous experience with Exchange...Boy, that really raised my confidence level!!

I hope that in the long run the hardest part about the last exam, is the time it took to decide which one...

Sounds like you are pretty set on this one Courvoisser and thats good at least you can start focusing your attention...I am still in the post exam recovery phase here, but better get moving soon. As they say "Time waits for no one!"...Keep me posted on news from the front....
courvoisser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »

Kang,

I feel the pressure also. I saw a post similar to that one which stated don't take it unless you have experience. I think that to be untrue to the whole. It helps but the many post and conversations i've had with people that's not a requirement or a prerequisite. I went down to two local training centers to inquire about the right direction. They wanted to enroll me, but i told them i did all my training and certification homestudy. I spoke to 2 different MCT's and 1 MCSE. I spoke in length and fellows the direction points to Exchange, although one guy took your stand Kang on the proxy being a  good avenue for what the security rush is these days. He said it was a toss up, and that at this point both are equal. The other MCT gave some incredible numbers on the exchange demand and overall environment, i wanted to post those, but somehow i didn't bring that with me this morning. He stated also the Sybex book looks intimidating but after you start it the size will reduce quickly.  I guess i'll start thursday.
FUBAR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »

Courvoisser, I think you have made a wise decision and will be glad you made it later, I still feel proxy will benifit all of us later too. The demand in the work place for email sort of dictates that we know exchange and all that it offers. I am very interested in security as you and Kang both have mentioned as well, so Proxy will benifit us all later on and we may all decide to make network security a speciality interest. Good luck in your studies and I will continue to watch the forum for your's and Kang's progress with the certification. Once i complete Site on the 19th I will join you both in reading the Cybex book all 650 pages of it...Good luck and stay focused......My two cents worth.....as always

(A+, NET+, MCP, MCSE NT4.0, MCSA, MCSE W2K)
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2000, 07:10:00 PM »

Hi Guys,

Well, as much as I hate to admit it most of the input I have been getting from people locally also points more to Exchange being a high demand product....People I know either directly or indirectly say that Proxy is good too but go to any corporation and ask them, they will tell you they are screaming for people who are good with Exchange.....Even my friend whose only true love is Linux and slams MS every chance he gets said go with Exchange especially because the new 2000 version has some really neat features and being able to make the migration from one to the other will be a benefit later on....

So, it looks like I have just about gotten off the fence, but I will ponder just a little bit more(or perhaps procrastinate is a better term!!)...I hope that the MCT guy you spoke to about the Sybex book is correct, because that is one awesome read!!!
It seems to be the text of choice though...

Anyway, I will keep you guys posted, but I have told so many people about it now, they will think I am scared to do it, if I don't!
Well, if i do go this way at least we can have mini study sessions and more importantly, therapy sessions! Thanks guys I'll check in later....
courvoisser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2000, 10:19:00 PM »

Kang,

I purchased my book today, and started reading the first chapter. "What a Book"! It still looks interesting, and something different. I used a book similar in size for server by Alan Carter, so i guess i'll be ok. I know it's the right choice. I up for the study group, maybe once everyone's in the water we can do instant messenger or something. WebEX?  I'll get down with the subject matter on thursday, but i wanted to buy the book today and force my self to do it, Oh it was half price too? It seems the testing center where i take my exams is selling all NT Books 1/2 price. She said that was the most popular book.

Courvoisser
AnalogKid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2000, 11:56:00 PM »

courvoisser- I don't have a home network yet.  Lack of funds, ya know.  I did get to work with Exchange at my school for a couple of weeks and have a pretty good feel of how it works and how to use the majority of the features, site connectors, etc.  Playing with is more fun than studying for it thats for sure.LOL  Cheesy  Cheesy
AnalogKid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2000, 12:13:00 AM »

Ok the hunt is on for the Damn book now. O fer 2 so far.  Must be a friggen good book!!! LOL
FreddyFlyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2000, 04:21:00 AM »

Hi guys,

I couldn't resist lurking on this thread after Kang was talking about the delima of which elective to take. I am afraid after I leave the Proxy thread it is going to die. So I am looking for more action.  I have seen the want ads and they point toward Exchange Server. I sometimes fell like a kid in a candy store, which one do I pick first. So go for it guys.

Aim High!

FreddyFlyer

Aim High!

FreddyFlyer

Sometimes it helps to be good, other times it helps to be lucky. The best is being good and lucky at the same time.
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2000, 06:55:00 AM »

Hi Guys,

I was looking at some of the sample study questions for this one....Yikes, I haven't got a clue yet...Of course haven't read anything either...I was just checking to see how paranoid they would make me feel..They did a great job...

Hey, does anyone ever get over a 900 on this test without having worked with Exchange for 20 years? I am just on the threshold of jumping aboard guys, I just get nervous when I read posts from people who said they got questions they didn't even have a clue what the question was about let alone the answer!

I guess in retrospect I was pretty paranoid about Enterprise too, but that was a different animal, plus I think there is more feedback from people on the Core exams...

Can you sense my procrastination? My common sense says you guys are right...Anyway, keep me posted guys...By the way that Sybex book must be in pretty high demand because the copy I found was the only one around in this area...Catch you all later...
FUBAR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »

Hey, does anyone ever get over a 900 on this test without having worked with Exchange for 20
                                        years? I am just on the threshold of jumping aboard guys, I just get nervous when I read posts from
                                        people who said they got questions they didn't even have a clue what the question was about let
                                        alone the answer!

Maybe this person above was not as prepared as we are going to be come time to take this sucker. I have a home lab two stations and will have Exchange running on the server, the Sybex book Exam Essentials, Transcenders and Cram sessions study guide.............and I am developing a deep rooted hatred for studying so I am going to nail this sucker the first time and move on..............  Smiley as we all will. 7 days till Site and then Exchange here I come............."We can do it".......positive thought for the day..........see ya a bit later CRAMMING AGAIN........

[This message has been edited by FUBAR (edited 10-12-2000).]

(A+, NET+, MCP, MCSE NT4.0, MCSA, MCSE W2K)
kang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2000, 07:48:00 PM »

Hey FUBAR,

Relax, I have not even started reading anything yet because am still evaluating my options...I am just relating what I see from many posts in various places...The few people I see scoring that high invariably are the ones who have a fair amount of on job experience....

It seems that some of the material just doesn't come out of the book...So yes, you are on the right track by playing with the software...

Anyway, just ignore my rantings and ravings because I am just going through my own little paranoia phase....However, I must be honest I have seen that comment more than a several times about the questions to quote "coming from Mars!"....

Anyway, your attitude is a good one and right now just put your focus towards SITE....

I hope that I can give myself the kick in the butt I need to commit...Talk at ya later..
AnalogKid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2000, 05:25:00 AM »

Just my .02 but one of my instructors says that knowing Exchange could be worth big bucks.  It obvious this is one of the most difficult exams to pass and many will explore other electives because of it.  Like I have said, working with it was fun because you learn all kinds of neat stuff about the email system.  I learned(and still learning   :cool: ) a lot about MS outlook too.   People and companies will always need email!!  Another thing he mentioned is that when Exchange 5.5 gets upgraded there won't be that many major changes to the O/S as opposed from going to Win2K from NT 4.0. Yes it is a big challenge and if you want to be a network Admin/ Engineer, knowing Exchange will be very valuable to your career.  Again just my .02.   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by AnalogKid (edited 10-13-2000).]
courvoisser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »

That's exactly right. I looked at the Job board here and there are two jobs becoming available and the requirements are straightforward, but the kikcer is what they are looking for  "EXCHANGE"!!! ughhhhhh!!!!!!
Well, that's extra motivation. Analog you hit it on point, it's a difficult but in demand skill. I will be exchanging my weekend plans for Exchange 5.5( yeah i know don't try to be a comedian right) I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and study hard....

Courvoisser
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: