pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 10:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-214
| | | |-+  Study Guide
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Study Guide  (Read 3912 times)
isles1

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2003, 08:58:15 AM »

During this past week, I started really getting into preparing for this test, because I think I would like to get it out of the way before the 218.  The 218 is just too similar to the 210 and 215, and I cannot stomach reading over the material just yet Cheesy

I am using the MS Press book...any other recommendations?  The material for this exam is very interesting to me, so the reading so far has been easy.

Also, has anyone else passed this lately?  If so, what areas were covered most heavily?

Thanks in advance for your input.
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:33:56 AM »

I took the beta, last October. There weren't a lot of books available for this one at the time. I used the Microsoft site exclusively for study. I started with the exam description, worked through the course syllabus, used the How-To guides and did some reading outside of the Microsoft site on wireless security. This exam mostly draws from material from 216: IPSEC, Authentication Methods, Certificates, Smart Cards, SUS, MBSA, HFNETCHK, IIS, Permissions, Group Policy.
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »

Thank you for the heads-up, JB.

Did the exam actually venture very far into the forbidden realm of wireless?

Cheers,
TB
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 04:49:49 PM »

Surprisingly no, I got wireless questions on the 291 beta (2 or 3). I did put in a good study for it for 214, though. Since they have questions for wireless in 291, you might see a couple sneak in to 214. All in all 214 was not too bad, again considering that it draws on a lot of 216 material. The 90 questions on the beta was a killer though for 214. Getting used to it now after the last two betas.
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 06:07:19 PM »

Actually, I don't recall ever reading anything about any features of Windows 2000 in regards to Wireless. XP on the otherhand seems to have a few, but then the question becomes "how involved is XP in the exam?"

Cheers,
TB
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 01:23:52 AM »

Thursday morning I am taking the plunge.

Any last minute tips?  Thanks for all the input so far.

Mike
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 10:57:05 AM »

I personally don't like to cram the last day. Get some rest, exercise, eat well, don't change from the normal routine, etc.

Or there is always the 'Little Black Book' for Windows 2000 security for some last minute review.
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 05:54:04 PM »

Wait a minute, isn't that "Little Black Book" the one with like 16 chapters in it?

Cheers,
TB
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 06:03:06 PM »

Btw, JB, how far off was your experience and this person's?

Cheers,
TB
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 06:41:45 PM »

Miss Bragg, being the Microsoft security warhammer that she is, may have gone a titch deeper that the exam I took did, but she wrote one heck of a good article, yes?

I did not have anyone greet me afterward, but I went to lunch at Schlotzsky's to celebrate, which was almost as comforting.

I found that re-hashing encryption and authentication technologies from ExamCram 216, security issues from ExamCram 217, having taken 220 already and working in the lab on certificates, MBSA, HFNETCHK, GPO and security templates was what got me over the fence on 214. I'm sure Miss Bragg got a better score though.
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 07:06:39 AM »

Damn, that Bragg article has made me paranoid  Cheesy

Time for some light review, then off to the test center.

Thanks again for the input guys!
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 09:57:29 AM »

isles1, best of luck!
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 01:30:02 PM »

Unfortunately, things did not turn out as I had hoped.

I failed the exam.  Even though it is the first test I have ever failed, I am not going to bash the test itself.  It was a good exam; fair questions and well-worded.  I was just not prepared for the questions I was presented with.  The forgone exam fee would bother me if I had not sat for and passed the free 210 and 215 betas Cheesy

90% of the questions were long-winded, about 3-4 paragraphs in length.  I took almost all of the 2 hours to get through the 50 questions.  I did spend a bit of time scratching my head over a few, so that added to the total time I took.

The exam mostly covered GPO, network authentication, certificates, running automated logon tasks, and software updates.  Very few questions on Remote Access, IPSec, and PKI.  Only one question on wireless.

The situations presented in the questions were quite complex.  I simply do not have enough experience with RRAS, ISA or layers of GPOs to have done well on this particular exam.  So it is back to the lab for me.  Clearly time to add a few more servers to the mix  Smiley

I am going to take a step back until the end of the summer before sitting for any more exams.  I will use the time in between to work some situations through in my lab which apply to the 214 and the 218 exams.  Once I add the ISA and RRAS servers, I can also start setting up some 802.1x wireless security implementations to aid my studies for the CWSP.

Thanks for your support and tips along the way.  I hope my experience helps some people know what to expect; I know I will for the next time around.

If anyone has any specific questions, PM me or just reply to this thread.
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 02:57:11 PM »

I would not feel bad. I had recieved my MCSE by the time I took it. Having 216, 217 and 220 behind me made this more of a refresher. When I read you post prior to taking it, I was thinking it would be hard without at least 216 behind you.

I don't think 214 is a 'stand-alone' test like 210 and 215 are. By stand-alone, I mean that you can read a book, work on the O/S a little, take a practice test or two and be ready. 214 really draws on a bunch of concepts from several other exams that you have not been exposed to yet.

You have a good attitude though, it will help you to be able to move past failing an exam and take what lessons you can learn from it. I failed 216 after taking 210 and 215. I just did not take it seriously enough for my first try. I got up from the exam chair and went right back to my studies and lab. The main thing after missing an exam, is not to second guess yourself on particular questions, but try to highlight the top three topics that gave you trouble and dig in on those. Best of luck and keep going by all means!
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 04:03:30 PM »

JB:

Thanks for the support.  Glad to hear you were able to push through the 216 failure; I hope I will be able to do the same here.

There is so little info out there about this test, I was truly surprised by the depth of the exam.  It seems like the only people who posted on this forum took the beta, and not the final release.  I could not dig up any feedback from anywhere else really.  Maybe now that this exam is required for the MCSA/MCSE on Security tracks, more people will come forward with their experiences.

The MS Press book that I used really did not present the objectives how they appeared on the actual exam.  Do not get me wrong, the information was there in the book, but it is impossible to bring it all together without a decent size lab or actual applicable experience in a professional setting.  Unfortunately, I am not given free run of the servers at work :p

I ordered the Exam Cram book by Braggs in hopes of getting a different perspective of the exam for the next time around.  If her article that was posted here is any indication, I think her text probably looks at things from a different angle.

Failing this exam makes me wish I took the 218 first so I would at least have MCSA status had I passed it.  It seems as long as you can nail DNS, troubleshooting, and GPO as presented on 210/215, you are good to go.

Oh well.  Time for a break...going right from my last semester of college to cramming and preparing a lab for the 210/215 betas proved to be too much in too little time.  That along with life's other distractions likely impacted my focus for this one.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: