pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 09:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-219
| | | |-+  Defining a Forest Root Domain?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Defining a Forest Root Domain?  (Read 1337 times)
Tech Ranger
On A Mission

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2003, 11:11:34 PM »

On page 137 of the MS Press book, there is a discussion of defining a Forest Root Domain.  The options offered are "Designating an existing domain" or "Designating a dedicated domain".  I am very confused.  I thought that the Forest root domain is ALWAYS the first domain created when you start this whole thing.  Can anybody explain.  By anybody, I guess I mean Jeff.

The Computer is a creation of man.  Man is a creation of God! -  
Joe from Brooklyn
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 03:36:42 PM »

The logical basis of AD is DNS. If existing DNS supports SRV records then you could install AD root there. You could also make a sub domain to the existing zone as the AD root.

An empty root domain is cool to isolate enterprise admin accounts and provide flexibily for adding and removing domains without effecting forest root.
Tech Ranger
On A Mission

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 09:39:05 PM »

What does MS mean by designating an existing domain?  Doesn't the decision of the Root have to be done at the beginning, when you install AD?

The Computer is a creation of man.  Man is a creation of God! -  
Joe from Brooklyn
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 11:11:16 PM »

You could upgrade the existing NT 4.0 domain for example. Again think in terms of a domain being a DNS domain name. You could be running UNIX and use the existing domain. Your UNIX domain: UNIX.com has DNS zones that support SRV records and Dynamic Update. Your first Windows 2000 Server promoted to domain controller in UNIX.com would still be the root AD domain, even though you have UNIX running the DNS.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: