pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  MCSE elective exams
| | |-+  70-214
| | | |-+  MCSA/MCSE Security Specialization
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MCSA/MCSE Security Specialization  (Read 4181 times)
isles1

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2003, 12:49:25 AM »

Tracks just announced today by Microsoft.

The 70-214 combined with either the 70-227 -OR- CompTIA's Security+ fulfills the "Core Security" requirement for the MCSA/MCSE: Security track.

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/default.asp

It would be great to hear from some people who have taken this exam, as I plan to sit for this exam during the summer now that these tracks have been announced.

The security element will hopefully standout among the many who are already MCSA/MCSE professionals.

Lets bring the 70-214 forum back to life!
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 07:10:27 PM »

The 214 is pretty good, if you work it from a hands on prespective. When I took the beta, there were no books or reviews available. I used the exam description and course syllabus from the Microsoft site, along with 'How-To' articles on security from Technet. I was able to pass the beta, which I thought was pretty challenging, mainly because there were 90 questions in the exam.
isles1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 07:31:42 PM »

Originally posted by jeff_j_black
The 214 is pretty good, if you work it from a hands on prespective. When I took the beta, there were no books or reviews available. I used the exam description and course syllabus from the Microsoft site, along with 'How-To' articles on security from Technet. I was able to pass the beta, which I thought was pretty challenging, mainly because there were 90 questions in the exam.

Do you recall how much time you were allowed for the exam?  Perhaps it was 90 questions because it was in the beta stage?

Thanks for your info!
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 08:35:49 PM »

According to Prometric the exam is 2 hours (120 min) and I was told by a friend that it is 50 questions.

JB, are you thinking of taking 70-227 or Security+ after you get done playing with 224 and 290-291?

Cheers,
TB
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 10:43:52 PM »

It's funny, I downloaded a trial of ISA server a couple of months ago. I have not had any real interest in taking the exam for it though, maybe after upgrading my MCSE to 2003?

It is tempting, just from the standpoint of the buzzword that security carries in the industry. Will this mean anything in terms of employment status? I can only say a small maybe.

There are many more recognizable security certifications, some requiring verifiable career experience, just to qualify for them.

I guess label me undecided? For someone who is still in the pipe it sounds like a pretty good deal.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 11:03:18 PM by jeff_j_black » Logged
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 01:29:35 AM »

I don't blame you there, JB. After some of the commentary on the 70-291 though, I might just install my eval copy just to poke it with a stick once or twice.

Cheers,
TB
StevoC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 03:08:29 AM »

I was thinking of pursuing the MCSA Security cert.  I have looked through requirements for both 70-214 and 70-227 and it seems as if 70-227 would be an easier way for me to go.  I have a little experience in win2k security, having done NSA and DISA security lockdowns on win2k servers and workstations once or twice.  Also, I will be going to SANS next week in Monterey, CA for win2k security, which I am sure will help.

I just loaded ISA server for the first time just a few hours ago and it seems to be pretty intense.  

Anyways, my question is:  if I am already an MCSA, all I need to take is 70-214 (or 227) and the Comptia Security + exam to receive a cert for MCSA Security?  I am assuming that is all I would need, but if anyone knows anything different, please let me know

Thanks and hope to be a part of this forum soon.

Just my 2?.
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 08:35:32 AM »

Or 214 and 227 for that matter...
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 05:30:26 PM »

Actually, you need to take the 70-214 (Win2k Security) regardless. You have a choice whether to use the 70-227 (ISA2k) or Security+ (SY0-101) as the second portion of it.

The study materials have about the same cost for both 227 and Sec+, but the exam for Sec+ is $225.

Cheers,
TB
jeff_j_black

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 06:11:06 PM »

Plus 227 helps you to understand the concepts and means of connecting a Windows 200x network to the internet. Yes it is product specific, but ports are ports, flitering and caching are what they are as well.
What is your design core again?
Tarzanboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2003, 07:10:07 PM »

I took 70-220 myself. I went in with expectations of learning applied security principles and came out of it feeling like I took a class on elementary business. Wink

I still believe it was the most brutal exam that I studied for, simply because 50+% of it was hands-off.

Cheers,
TB
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: