pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 10:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  Network Browsing Problem
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Network Browsing Problem  (Read 1179 times)
oddduck

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2003, 03:39:09 PM »

I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I'm having a 2003 performace issue.  I have been trying out 2003 at home (for maybe the last month), and after a few days of being on, I have to reboot.  Why? I can't browse the network, 2003 just slows right down to snails pace.  I usually use TS to connect the server and TS works just fine, but from the run command or network neighbourhood, it's awful.  I really can't find any good explainations to this.  The only thing thats effected is browsing the network.  The server is operating as as FTP/NAT and that's about all.  I have no other performance issues other then that (that I notice at least).  I have had to reboot 5 times this month due to poor browsing conditions, and for a few days from the reboot, it is fine.  Any ideas?

Marianne/oddduck
RUSH2112
Certified Test Taker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 04:23:57 PM »

Originally posted by oddduck
I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I'm having a 2003 performace issue.  I have been trying out 2003 at home (for maybe the last month), and after a few days of being on, I have to reboot.  Why? I can't browse the network, 2003 just slows right down to snails pace.  I usually use TS to connect the server and TS works just fine, but from the run command or network neighbourhood, it's awful.  I really can't find any good explainations to this.  The only thing thats effected is browsing the network.  The server is operating as as FTP/NAT and that's about all.  I have no other performance issues other then that (that I notice at least).  I have had to reboot 5 times this month due to poor browsing conditions, and for a few days from the reboot, it is fine.  Any ideas?

Marianne/oddduck

Sounds like you have some of the same issues I am having with my 2003 server.  While I don't keep my server on very much, I have noticed sometimes it will "freeze"  I have adequeate processing power and memory (AMD 900mhz and 384mb RAM) coupled with a 20G HDD with pretty much only 2003 server on it.  Although I did do an upgrade from 2000 server becuase it pretty much blue-screened, so I slapped 2003 over top.  Perhaps if I do a fresh, clean install things might "play together" nicer.  Let me know if you find anything out, as I am curious to see what the problem was and if it relates to me.

"Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies, but most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be.  Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it,  for you the blind who once could see,  the bell tolls for thee...."     Losin' It
me? I dunno...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 11:23:16 PM »

Are you trying to run a multihomed domain controller? if so, that isnt helping things.

Other than that, you might load your support tools and run netdiag or dcdiag for a quick check of your basic services. I believe netdiag /fix will sometimes clean up minor problems.

What does your event viewer indicate?

Oops, I dont know if those tools are still relevant or available in 3k.

RJ

The secret to a successful life is learning what to least expect the most...

http://www.cbc.ca/
http://www.vancouver.cbc.ca/
http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage/
http://www.cnn.com/
jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 07:43:12 PM »

Also make sure to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP of your are browsing to/from downlevel clients, otherwise without WINS installed on your 2003 machine, the NetBIOS based operations you list above can be hit and miss.

The dual homed server (2 NICs) can be a big issue as well. There are options in advanced netwrok properties that allow you to choise to register a particular connection or not and also, which NIC gets chosen first in the PCI slot order, usually wins out on the Master Browser role. If it is your external NIC that wins this role, then your internal newtwork broswing goes to heck.

Make doubly sure that DNS is top notch, most of the new OS network issues start there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: