pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  My new Windows 2003 Server DC...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My new Windows 2003 Server DC...  (Read 3125 times)
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2003, 02:14:47 AM »

....running very stable, installed RC 2 Beta, good for 360 Days, got the full Version coming this Week, i must say it runs better than i thought.
It is a Athlon XP 2000+ with 1 Gig of Ram, 2X 250 Gig Hard drives in hot-swap Raid, 128 megs ATI-Radeon Videocard(needs to run as a Game-Server as well).
It will replace my trusty old Dual PII 300, that served me so well over the Years.(longest up-time over 400 Days and counting).
I am using it as Domain Controller in my Home/Office/Lab setup ( to learn the new OS)and it serves Files, Backup all the important Data from 14 Workstations of different OS's, as well as FTP for Clients and Friends.
Everything works great at the moment,DCPROMO and all other set-ups worked like a charm.
Just this new IIS is giving me a hard Time.
I am having trouble setting up all my FTP-clients on the new Server.
I want to "Isolate Users" and do not want to allow "anonymous" Connections.They shouldn't be Members of the AD, because they connect from the outside.
Should i create a special FTP-Group? (OU)
The Beast has 2 Nic's and is seems there is a firewall blocking them. ( got that handled)
I use Port 21 and 20 on my old Server, how can i set up the new Server to use different Ports, let's say port 8 and 9?

How do i set up all the "outside-Users" not to be Members of Active Directory, but make sure they have access to all of their Directories?

And how do i configure other Ports than 20 or 21 (used by the old Server) to be used for the new Server?
I need this because i have to configure the Router to foreward the requests to the new Server, and i want to run 2 FTP's at the same Time. (for now)
Thanks for listening!

Cheesy

B4yaman3
Motivated!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 12:23:18 AM »

Dejavue to my knowledge once you have a domain you can't create users on that pc without them being a part of the Active Directory..

WEll my 2003 is sweeet. I have the full copy.It seems to run faster and smoother than 2000. I created a child domain on it to the main domain on 2000 and got replication and trust to work fine..Just more testing for me right now..
necrophantasm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 12:57:55 PM »

Deja,

I put the RTM of 2k3 enterprise on a machine a couple of weeks ago. I promoted it to a DC, set up Active Directory, IIS, DNS, and DHCP and everything worked fine. After looking through some of the new features on old services, I decided to install some of the newer components (specifically UDDI services) and to install some of the other components I wasn't as interested in (like RIS). As soon as I rebooted, I got the old "IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL" message. This machine is a new athlon xp 2400+, a gig of ddr, and a radeon 9000. Maybe it was just a bad driver, but although Server 2003 runs much faster than I (and most other people) expected, it is still definitely Windows. Play with it a bit more and let me know if you find anything else that we should know about before rolling this out...

Thanks
chodan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 09:42:41 PM »

I'm thinking you would not want "outside" users to have access to anything in your AD domain without setting up accounts for them.
 Otherwise you wouldn't be able to control there access.
 You could enable a guest account and give it to all who need access "not recomended" Smiley
 Or set up IIS for some directories they need access to using the Iusercomputername account and give the account read write and browse access to the web directory, "also not recomended having IIS on a DC"
 Maybe the Best bet is to create a member or stand alone server that contains the directories needed and create the accounts locally on it, create the appropriate shares and assign the accounts the appropriate rights for each share.

Check out my music at
www.chodan.com
Rural Development in Eastern Ky.
www.centertech.com
 "It is our decisions that show us what we truly are in life, not our abilities."
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 01:26:01 AM »

Well, things are running very nice,that machine is running better than i expected.
I used one of the "new" Groups, the Domainguest-account, added all my FTP-Users to it, created the shares for the FTP-Access, made sure they have no other resources available to them, set up user-rights, quotas and other things and i am a happy camper.
Right now, it is a Domain controller, FTP-Server, Game-Server (Battlefield 1942)Cheesy , and i am ripping ( and burning) DVD's on the side.I can now retire two of my older hogs. Chodan, i am taking your point well, but i must clean up some of my Machines around here,( 15 of them), my Power-bill is getting outrageous.

Eventviewer looks clean, no hang-ups or lockups whatsoever.
By the way, i am using the Radeon 9000 pro as well, and it runs even the hardest video-tests.Make sure, Hardware-acceleration is enabled, i had some problems with it up first...
I will let you know how things go.

necrophantasm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 03:38:25 PM »

15? Man, I thought I was bad with 5... your place must turn into an oven in the summer Wink
Deja-vue
Challenge Everything
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 12:41:14 AM »

...upgraded the Beast to the full Version today, went totally smooth.
Just threw in the Win 2003 Server Enterprise Edition and went for it.
All User-accounts are still there, FTp still works,all Domain-Services are running normal, Event-viewer is clean; just the darn ATI-Drivers got screwed up and Direct3D got disabled.
Re-installed DX9, re-installed newest ATI-Drivers,re-enabled Direct3D and back in Business.
If i just could prevent users to log in multiple times with the IP-address.:confused:

jeff_j_black
that's what "THEY" said..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 09:25:13 AM »

You guys want to really put a high-tech spin on things, check out Virtual PC from Microsoft (just bought out Connectix). Build yourself one killer box and virtaulize your whole lab. These virtual PC's are even networked and can interact with the outside world. Your only limitation is RAM and HD space. The more processing power the better. I am running 2003 Server on my desk at work, no sweat, along with my regular desktop at the same time. I only have a P3-600 256Meg at work so you get the point. With a Gig of RAM you could easily run 2-3 virtual machines on one desktop.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: