pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  General discussions
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  "bad command or file name"
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "bad command or file name"  (Read 706 times)
Jim Schweigert

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2003, 07:52:01 PM »

I am helping a friend with her computer. She lives 40 miles away, so I'd like to have a clear idea of how to proceed when I drive up there.
When she starts up her computer (W98se), she sees the message "bad command or file name" on the screen briefly, but Windows continues to load and work just fine.
I recognize this as an error we used to see in DOS, so I am thinking it may be the result of a command in either config.sys or autoexec.bat as the system is starting up and working through those two files.
Since her machine works just fine, I would be looking for a line related to a program that is no longer on her machine perhaps.
Would it work for me to do a startup in "step-by-step confirmation" mode to find the culprit?
Or do you have other ideas as to how to bring that minor nuisance to an end?
RussS
radical dood

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 09:12:09 PM »

Hey Jim

I would say that you are right on the money.  My first step would be to boot the machine up and view the message myself and then check config.sys and autoexec.bat for the obvious.  If no go there I would then do the step by step safe route.

Go hard or go home!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: