pharaoh fortune slot
ExamNotes.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:17:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ExamNotes.net
|-+  Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MOUS, MCAD)
| |-+  Server 2003
| | |-+  VPN Questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VPN Questions  (Read 3391 times)
Lebanese_007

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2003, 10:57:44 PM »

hi everyone
i have windows 2003.net server, and it is behind a Router/firewall(linksys).
before configuring VPN, i enabled port 3389 in the router, and i was able to connect through the internet to my server through Remote Desktop Connection. i configured VPN, and i enabled 1723 port in the router and everything went fine. so i was thinking, the idea of VPN is not to let your application accessible to the outside world, so i will connect through VPN, create to myself a private tunnel, then i will Remote desktop from inside my LAN to my server (after i do the connect through VPN). So i disbaled the port 3389 for Remote Desktop Connection (Note: i wasn't home). after that my VPN couldn't connect, it kept telling me that "Opening port..." !!!!
so obviously i locked myself out of my LAN , so i went home and re-enabled the 3389 port, and after that it worked fine !!! is there any suggestion?Huh

and i have another question, how can i test my security??? i don't know exactly how VPN security works (PPP, L2TP and IPSec)

by the way, i have BEFW11S4 ver. 2 Router.

thanks in advance
btroadman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 10:06:46 AM »

That sounds a little bit suspicious to me. 3389 for TS should have nothing to do with your PPTP vpn. Can you route all GRE traffic from the outside over to your VPN server. Microsoft says you might have to push all GRE and TCP 1723 over.
Lebanese_007

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 12:55:19 PM »

thanks for replying
what is the GRE Traffic
how can i know that i'm allow them
and how to allow them??

thanks in advance
adilux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 05:53:46 PM »

i don't think that router has that capability to pass GRE through. it only has the TCP and UDP options.
GRE is a protocol that PPTP needs to pass through.  I believe it's protocol 47.
to my knowledge.

- adilux -
cm2gj
www.cm2gj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 01:09:44 AM »

Originally posted by adilux
i don't think that router has that capability to pass GRE through. it only has the TCP and UDP options.
GRE is a protocol that PPTP needs to pass through.  I believe it's protocol 47.
to my knowledge.

PPTP just use port 1723. on cheap gateways you can make a port mapping of this ports and redirect such traffic to the VPN server on your LAN and your VPN must work OK.

I have a software VPN (win2k) on work and a Hardware IPSEC VPN between routers.... (3com dsl secure gateway, IPSEC using DES encryption type, SHA-1 Hash algorithm and a Diffie Hellman Group 1 Exchange keys method with Perfect Forward Secrecy).

Both VPN tunnels works amazing!!!

Best Regards
Alex
alexisgarcia72@hotmail.com
Cuban in Mexico
www.cm2gj.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: